Washing socks

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you all wash your socks? Washing machine? By hand? Some other way? I know they are supposedly washing machine safe, but I wonder if I'll rust out my washing machine running these things through it. I'm considering going to the used appliance place and buying a junker just for my filter socks -- or thoroughly rinsing them with a hose before washing them. Just curious what others are doing, and even more curious if your washing machine is rusting.

Also, what do you wash your socks with? Bleach? Anything else?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you all wash your socks? Washing machine? By hand? Some other way? I know they are supposedly washing machine safe, but I wonder if I'll rust out my washing machine running these things through it. I'm considering going to the used appliance place and buying a junker just for my filter socks -- or thoroughly rinsing them with a hose before washing them. Just curious what others are doing, and even more curious if your washing machine is rusting.

Also, what do you wash your socks with? Bleach? Anything else?
Garden hose with spray nozzle

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse them out pretty good to get most of the goo out and throw them in a 5 gallon bucket until I have enough to make it worthwhile running a load through the laundry (16-20 socks at a time). I run an empty load through the washer without soap with hot water and with the water level set to max to clean out any soap residue. Then I run the socks on warm (medium water level) with only bleach (just plain old bleach not scented or anything). I run an extra rinse cycle and let the socks air dry. If the still smell of bleach they go back for another rinse cycle and air dry again. Been doing this for 15 years or so without any problems.
I know some people who have purchased a mini washing machine (like for an RV) to use for this but don't think it is really necessary.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your talking about felt ones right? I turn mine inside out and then wash on hot with some laundry detergent and bleach and an extra rinse cycle. Then I run the washing machine twice more on hot, but no additives and again extra rinse cycles. I know I'm giving some people a heart attack because I'm using laundry detergent, but I'm pretty confident the extra washes are getting rid of everything. I do wait until I have enough filter socks to make a full load so I don't feel so badly about all the water I'm using. No worries about rusting the washer---I'm not letting the dirty socks just sit in the washer so the salt has little contact time with the metal

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same prep as @((FORDTECH)) , if I bleach them I do that in a 5 gallon bucket. If I'm good I dump the bleach water down the toilet, otherwise I bleach the gutter. Drip dry. I use to use DeClor but I ran out and didn't restock.

I don't want to run them through the machine because of the soap and fecal material that is found in laundry facilities.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running through washing machine when wife is not home. She would kill me if she knew i was washing fish waste in there haha.

Never had a issue been 8 months. Just picked up some felt matting to use so my socks last longer.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerwasher set to "rinse" at the local car wash. After I'm done, I bring them home for a final rinse / soak in tap water with Seachem Prime. Now I have a filter roller -- best move ever.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them a good rinse and squeeze inside and out with hot water then a light spray with hydrogen peroxide then let them dry outside in the sun.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back