Watanabei Angelfish QT Treatment

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there is good aeration, and the flow isn’t too high so the more sensitive male can de-stress

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. He's now resting upright vs previously on his side so maybe he's coming to. The female is swimming about and looks very healthy.

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male is back to laying on it's side and still beathing. I have no lights on the QT but a light on on the other side of the room so I can observe. Praying he makes it. Please let me let know if anyone has any other ideas than just waiting it out.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male is back to laying on it's side and still beathing. I have no lights on the QT but a light on on the other side of the room so I can observe. Praying he makes it. Please let me let know if anyone has any other ideas than just waiting it out.
Post a pic or better yet, a video. Thx

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoiding bright lights or otherwise pestering it should be avoided....otherwise, just time will tell I think.

Jay

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I made the decision to leave all lights out and check tomorrow morning. Will update the group tomorrow.

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again. The female has developed this vertical line or lesion just behind her gill. Does this stand out to anyone? Or need to be treated right away? I can post parameters if needed. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9268.jpg
    IMG_9268.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 59

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that could be red band disease, Uronema. Genicanthus angels are prone to getting that when they are first collected. Despite what you'll read, there are no effective treatments Uronema when it is internal like this. The lesion breaks the surface, but not until the infection is well underway inside the fish, where the medication can't reach. Chloroquine can help to keep it spreading from fish to fish.

The only things that are keeping me from making a 100% diagnosis of Uronema here, is the length of the lesion (about twice as long as normally seen) and the lack of red coloration. Still, aside from an injury (which Uronema is frequently confused with) there isn't anything else that makes a lesion like this.

Here is my article on the topic:

Jay

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Jay. I just fed, and she's eating Selcon soaked mysis very well. I'll keep a close eye on her.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Jay. I just fed, and she's eating Selcon soaked mysis very well. I'll keep a close eye on her.
O.K. that is one more symptom to steer me away from Uronema - fish with a Uronema lesion that large typically won't feed.

Still, that leaves us with, if not Uronema, then what? I don't know.....

Jay

p.s. - soaking mysis in Selcon is messy and it rinses off as fast as it soaks in, so I wouldn't bother doing that. To use Selcon as a "top dressing" you need to have a drier food that absorbs it better.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that could be red band disease, Uronema. Genicanthus angels are prone to getting that when they are first collected. Despite what you'll read, there are no effective treatments Uronema when it is internal like this. The lesion breaks the surface, but not until the infection is well underway inside the fish, where the medication can't reach. Chloroquine can help to keep it spreading from fish to fish.

The only things that are keeping me from making a 100% diagnosis of Uronema here, is the length of the lesion (about twice as long as normally seen) and the lack of red coloration. Still, aside from an injury (which Uronema is frequently confused with) there isn't anything else that makes a lesion like this.

Here is my article on the topic:

Jay
Not some sort of bacterial infection?

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Things have taken a bit of a negative turn. I’m having trouble now since last night getting the pair to eat and the male has become somewhat lethargic. Ammonia is at 0 and Cupramine at .46 per Hannah. SG is .023. Im going to check nitrite and some other parameters but any advice welcome.

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the lesion on the female from this morning. Seems to look a little more red now.

Attachments

• IMG_9278.jpg
    IMG_9278.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 47

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not some sort of bacterial infection?

Unlikely, Uronema follows the scale line, so you get linear lesions. Primary bacterial infections tend to grow in a circular pattern (like bacteria does on a petri dish). However, mixed infections of Uronema and bacteria is pretty common.

Uronema used to be 100% misdiagnosed as an injury followed by a bacterial infection - looking at how the disease progresses visually, that seemed to be the best diagnosis. It wasn't until we began taking skin scrapes of the lesions and looking at them under a microscope that we discovered there were Uronema protozoans involved.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Things have taken a bit of a negative turn. I’m having trouble now since last night getting the pair to eat and the male has become somewhat lethargic. Ammonia is at 0 and Cupramine at .46 per Hannah. SG is .023. Im going to check nitrite and some other parameters but any advice welcome.

The growing lesion, regardless of its cause, is an issue. However, both fish were eating and now neither is?

How are you testing ammonia?
Nitrite is non-toxic to marine fish, so that won't be an issue.
Do you know the pH?

As I mentioned, Cupramine is harsher than chelated copper products on angels, but I'm still suprised if that is the cause of them not eating.

Jay

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely, Uronema follows the scale line, so you get linear lesions. Primary bacterial infections tend to grow in a circular pattern (like bacteria does on a petri dish). However, mixed infections of Uronema and bacteria is pretty common.

Uronema used to be 100% misdiagnosed as an injury followed by a bacterial infection - looking at how the disease progresses visually, that seemed to be the best diagnosis. It wasn't until we began taking skin scrapes of the lesions and looking at them under a microscope that we discovered there were Uronema protozoans involved.

Jay
How about using hydrogen peroxide 3%?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back