Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Pink floyd is amazing...

Thank you, it is cool

How about some non SPS just for fun. I have these scattered around the tank, mainly near the bottom but some are up higher for contrast.

Plus one more RR USA Pink Floyd with my Z's Pink Cotton Candy

Some contrast corals

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close are you to the unveiling of your display tank? Can't wait to see a full tank shot!

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close are you to the unveiling of your display tank? Can't wait to see a full tank shot!

Probably 18-24 more months. The whole is lesser than the sum of it’s parts when it comes to my tank.

About once a year or two I’ll have an old established colony rtn. I have about 100 different Coral thriving in my tank without issue but rarely one will just start to rtn unrelated to a specific event. The following Coral did that and although I cut about six frags, this is the only one to survive. This is not a fast grower but it should get going once it gets just a little bit bigger. Glad I was able to save the one frag. It appears to be prettier this time around.

This is my Reef Raft Canada Wolverine. Starting to show some color

fishead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspiring stuff watchguy!!!! I see you have that Beachbum down at cyphastrea and chalice kinda level. About 100 par would you say? Looks fantastically healthy mate.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been traveling a bit and have been super busy which has been keeping me from paying attention to the forum. Tank is doing really well though.

I only have one Coral shot from yesterday but I have a few pictures from my last trip

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been traveling a bit and have been super busy which has been keeping me from paying attention to the forum. Tank is doing really well though.

I only have one Coral shot from yesterday but I have a few pictures from my last trip

What is that first piece? Beautiful pic.

Also, that is a lot of brown in those last pics. Might try a little less nutrients or a little more light. Maybe he will color up! Lol.

Seriously, that looks like an excellent vacation.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that first piece? Beautiful pic.

Also, that is a lot of brown in those last pics. Might try a little less nutrients or a little more light. Maybe he will color up! Lol.

Seriously, that looks like an excellent vacation.
That first piece is from a good reefer buddy. He somehow comes into possession of the craziest stuff. I believe it is a granulosa but my species identification is always a bit of guesswork. The color seems to be getting redder although not a true red, lots of purple or perhaps blue undertones. It seems to be taking off in growth recently. And yes the vacation was incredible even though I couldn’t find an Sps anywhere

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did that Zs Prize start off as a Bali shortcake?
I got Z's Prize a good while ago as a frag and no it wasn't described or represented as a bali shortcake, but someone else asked me the same thing. Interestingly enough, I don't think it looks like a bali shortcake either. Z's prize is a tabling acro but more importantly, the colors are extremely deep, bright and rich. I don't think I have seen a bali shortcake look anything as colored as this colony but certainly I haven't seen that many bali shortcakes, so who knows.

On to a different acro colony. I have had this acro for a very long time but it seems to be slowly morphing colors in particular the polyps are changing to a beautiful golden yellow. I think the color changes are awesome. I don't know what leads an acro to morph, but I am glad this one is adding some fascinating color after being in the tank for such a long time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful healthy pieces !
Anything you can share on terms of tank conditions, additives, light, flow, etc ?

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love all the corals colouration and health are amazing. In one of your post you say you dose nitrates can you expand on what you use and the amount you use.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful healthy pieces !
Anything you can share on terms of tank conditions, additives, light, flow, etc ?

Oh I wish there was some magical additive. I am pretty old school. I use metal halides, t5’s and reefbrites. I have two maxspect 250 gyres that seem to create lots of flow but as colonies get bigger, there are still some quiet spots. I basically test nitrates and alkalinity at least weekly and often more often. I test so frequently not because I have fluctuations but because I want to reassure myself that nothing is drifting out of range.

love all the corals colouration and health are amazing. In one of your post you say you dose nitrates can you expand on what you use and the amount you use.

I have a relatively large tank with lots of fish and coral. I feed my fish well but I also have a lot of filtration. I have a refugium full of chaeto, lit by a Kessil h350 which grows chaeto very well. I utilize a bubble king skimmer, I have I believe 6 liters of siporax or more, I have lots of rock and sand, I change out 20% water every two weeks. I aim for nitrates between 2-10 ppm usually around the middle of that range. Whether all this equipment or water changes are necessary, I’m not sure. Just a routine that I’ve established over the years in the hobby.

I find it necessary to add KNO3 powder daily to keep my nitrates in my preferred range. By trial and error, I have worked out a pretty consistent amount to add, typically 10 generous spoonfuls utilizing the little red spoon from a salifert nitrate test kit.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have approx. 1000L and packed with sps and have never been able to read any nitrate , what brand is the KNO3( I have some but never used) and how much would you try in tank my size.Do yo just mix with tank water or RO and put it in the sump

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back