Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

LVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so very sorry to hear about this. I have always admired your tank and can't imagine the pain you went through. I'm glad to hear you're not throwing in the towel though and look forward to seeing the comeback.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, you and I haven't spoken in a while and as you asked I kept this quiet and for some reason I didn't know you had decided to sit down and notify your many admirers until today. I hope all is well. I've had a lot of changes too and hopefully in the future you and I can sit down for another nice lunch and conversation. Be well my friend and my best to you and your family

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your story and I am sorry for your losses. I was considering a generator because we have had several outages in my area over the summers. Reading your story really motivates me to start looking at installing a full house generator. Good luck with what you decide to do. I would say reflect and take your time.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark,

I just happened to come across your post as I looked online for beautiful pictures of coral. I had half an hour to look around while my food baked in the oven.
An hour later my food is burned and I'm not even mad at ya because I appreciate the opportunity to gaze at some amazing corals.

Of course, as I keep going through the thread I came across the disaster.

If it's of any comfort or motivation, I had a tank full of growing coral (nothing like yours, but it was doing well) and I kept tinkering looking for perfection. I've had several disasters over the years. One was back in 2004 when I had a fish only aquarium. A hurricane in Orlando, FL left me without power for 4 days. My fish didn't survive, and I was so depressed that I tore down the tank and left it in my garage for 10 years.

In 2014 I happened to get a job close to World Wide Corals (not even knowing what or who they were). I just happened to notice their signage and decided to stop in one day during my lunch break. That's when I caught the coral fever! I went back in the garage, dusted off the tank, and started back again. Within a year, I went from a 55g....not big enough...then 220g...didn't like how tall it was...and then a 300g.

My tank was doing well for about 2 years. Corals were growing, but I could never get the crazy polyp extension I saw at my local LFSs. In my attempt to improve, I introduced Zeovit to my tank and it completely crashed. I was devastated, but was determined to continue.

Then about a year ago, I had another incident. If any of you have Gyres, you know that you can't get inside the blades to clean them out completely. I decided to try citric acid to see if it would dissolve all of the junk. Then I did my normal cleaning with a toothbrush under running water, followed by a fresh water dip. Well dumb me didn't think to run the pump again to ensure there was no junk left. When I placed it back in the tank and turned it on, it sent little pieces of citric acid laced gunk all over the tank. The fish started eating it, and then started dyeing like it was a poison pill. Over 30 fish, and I lost all but one! On top of that, the resulting fluctuation in nutrients caused my corals to suffer (I thought I had lost all my SPS).

This time I needed a break. I left my tank fallow for 6 months (basically all of football season). It sucked sitting next to an empty tank everyday (the tank is in my mancave within 5 feet of my lazyboy). And I completely get what you mean about enjoying the daily progress check (even turning on my blue flashlight to see corals during lights out). I missed it all, but I needed time to recover mentally and let the fire build again.

After the Super Bowl, I was ready. I started buying new fish, and bought some cheap starter corals. The new corals slowly did well as I increased nutrients, and then most of the SPS I thought had died resurrected! Fast forward about 3 months and my tank is fully stocked with fish, and my corals are growing faster than ever...to the point where I'm starting to get higher-end corals because I feel comfortable they'll thrive.

In summary, you never lose the fever. Take the time you need. You'll eventually hop back in when the time is right.

I look forward to more amazing pictures when you do.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I’m sure it’s
Even harder knowing you had no control over the situation. A gas-powered genny May have helped but mine will blow through its 8gal fuel tank in less than a day. At that point the vortech battery backups would have came through for another 24 hrs. I think your experience has given some of us something to think about.

Im sure you’ll be back soon enough better than ever.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beauty is not the word

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so very sorry to hear about this. I have always admired your tank and can't imagine the pain you went through. I'm glad to hear you're not throwing in the towel though and look forward to seeing the comeback.

Mark, you and I haven't spoken in a while and as you asked I kept this quiet and for some reason I didn't know you had decided to sit down and notify your many admirers until today. I hope all is well. I've had a lot of changes too and hopefully in the future you and I can sit down for another nice lunch and conversation. Be well my friend and my best to you and your family

Very sorry to hear this, Mark. You always had beautiful colonies and interesting corals and shared them with the forums openly and honestly. I hope you get things set up again in a way that you enjoy.

Thanks for sharing your story and I am sorry for your losses. I was considering a generator because we have had several outages in my area over the summers. Reading your story really motivates me to start looking at installing a full house generator. Good luck with what you decide to do. I would say reflect and take your time.

Let me know when your ready. I have your Shazam and blueberry wine. Free for you!!

Mark,

I just happened to come across your post as I looked online for beautiful pictures of coral. I had half an hour to look around while my food baked in the oven.
An hour later my food is burned and I'm not even mad at ya because I appreciate the opportunity to gaze at some amazing corals.

Of course, as I keep going through the thread I came across the disaster.

If it's of any comfort or motivation, I had a tank full of growing coral (nothing like yours, but it was doing well) and I kept tinkering looking for perfection. I've had several disasters over the years. One was back in 2004 when I had a fish only aquarium. A hurricane in Orlando, FL left me without power for 4 days. My fish didn't survive, and I was so depressed that I tore down the tank and left it in my garage for 10 years.

In 2014 I happened to get a job close to World Wide Corals (not even knowing what or who they were). I just happened to notice their signage and decided to stop in one day during my lunch break. That's when I caught the coral fever! I went back in the garage, dusted off the tank, and started back again. Within a year, I went from a 55g....not big enough...then 220g...didn't like how tall it was...and then a 300g.

My tank was doing well for about 2 years. Corals were growing, but I could never get the crazy polyp extension I saw at my local LFSs. In my attempt to improve, I introduced Zeovit to my tank and it completely crashed. I was devastated, but was determined to continue.

Then about a year ago, I had another incident. If any of you have Gyres, you know that you can't get inside the blades to clean them out completely. I decided to try citric acid to see if it would dissolve all of the junk. Then I did my normal cleaning with a toothbrush under running water, followed by a fresh water dip. Well dumb me didn't think to run the pump again to ensure there was no junk left. When I placed it back in the tank and turned it on, it sent little pieces of citric acid laced gunk all over the tank. The fish started eating it, and then started dyeing like it was a poison pill. Over 30 fish, and I lost all but one! On top of that, the resulting fluctuation in nutrients caused my corals to suffer (I thought I had lost all my SPS).

This time I needed a break. I left my tank fallow for 6 months (basically all of football season). It sucked sitting next to an empty tank everyday (the tank is in my mancave within 5 feet of my lazyboy). And I completely get what you mean about enjoying the daily progress check (even turning on my blue flashlight to see corals during lights out). I missed it all, but I needed time to recover mentally and let the fire build again.

After the Super Bowl, I was ready. I started buying new fish, and bought some cheap starter corals. The new corals slowly did well as I increased nutrients, and then most of the SPS I thought had died resurrected! Fast forward about 3 months and my tank is fully stocked with fish, and my corals are growing faster than ever...to the point where I'm starting to get higher-end corals because I feel comfortable they'll thrive.

In summary, you never lose the fever. Take the time you need. You'll eventually hop back in when the time is right.

I look forward to more amazing pictures when you do.

Sorry to hear. I’m sure it’s
Even harder knowing you had no control over the situation. A gas-powered genny May have helped but mine will blow through its 8gal fuel tank in less than a day. At that point the vortech battery backups would have came through for another 24 hrs. I think your experience has given some of us something to think about.

Im sure you’ll be back soon enough better than ever.

Beauty is not the word

The kind thoughts and support that I have received from fellow hobbyists have been incredibly meaningful since my disaster in November of last year. I gave myself some time and had a number of friends reach out to me. I saved a few pieces, got a few back from some very kind friends and have been actively searching for more beauties. I found I missed staring at my tank so I am back. I salvaged a few colonies maybe 4 or 5 and also a few polyps of sps here and there. And I mean a few polyps of sps, literally. It has been about 6 months from my disaster. To get some color back in the tank, I have added loads and loads of lps. Lps are great at providing instant color and there are so many pretty ones out there. I have concentrated on SPS for so long that I don't think I appreciated all the lps pieces. I don't want the lps to adhere to my rock work because they will eventually sting my sps. So it looks a little weird in my tank with lots of ceramic disks glued to the rock work with their lps frags attached. I guess this way, I can always remove lps anytime but I like them so much that I envision a mixed tank for a good while. Some of my favorite Z's pieces I couldn't replace but I still have found other sps to replace some of them.

I am taking blue pictures now. The rock work or disks look funky but the corals are pretty darn close to accurate colors (as close as i can get them--and I do think it is pretty accurate if I do say so myself) I think they look correct and accurate if you were to look into my tank under blue leds. I will also post occasional metal halide or t5 as well but I enjoy the look of blue much more. Besides its a hobby, and the point is to have fun and I like my blue pictures. I am a critic of how people post their pictures. I just want the pictures to accurately represent what you're seeing under whatever light you like. And for those who are into lightroom, most of these pictures have the vibrance reduced by -5 to -13 so they look "right". I don't adjust saturation levels at all. Quite frankly, I am trying to color correct to what the eye sees. Boy, I almost sound apologetic. Also I have lots of lps now so I hope I don't drive sps freaks to crazy with them.

Here is a Vivid's Confetti that a dear friend gave me a frag of at the beginning of this year. Yes, it was a multi-branch frag that he gave me. He also gave me that Crazy T monti in the background and yes it is really very orange.

coral-5.jpg

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kind thoughts and support that I have received from fellow hobbyists have been incredibly meaningful since my disaster in November of last year. I gave myself some time and had a number of friends reach out to me. I saved a few pieces, got a few back from some very kind friends and have been actively searching for more beauties. I found I missed staring at my tank so I am back. I salvaged a few colonies maybe 4 or 5 and also a few polyps of sps here and there. And I mean a few polyps of sps, literally. It has been about 6 months from my disaster. To get some color back in the tank, I have added loads and loads of lps. Lps are great at providing instant color and there are so many pretty ones out there. I have concentrated on SPS for so long that I don't think I appreciated all the lps pieces. I don't want the lps to adhere to my rock work because they will eventually sting my sps. So it looks a little weird in my tank with lots of ceramic disks glued to the rock work with their lps frags attached. I guess this way, I can always remove lps anytime but I like them so much that I envision a mixed tank for a good while. Some of my favorite Z's pieces I couldn't replace but I still have found other sps to replace some of them.

I am taking blue pictures now. The rock work or disks look funky but the corals are pretty darn close to accurate colors (as close as i can get them--and I do think it is pretty accurate if I do say so myself) I think they look correct and accurate if you were to look into my tank under blue leds. I will also post occasional metal halide or t5 as well but I enjoy the look of blue much more. Besides its a hobby, and the point is to have fun and I like my blue pictures. I am a critic of how people post their pictures. I just want the pictures to accurately represent what you're seeing under whatever light you like. And for those who are into lightroom, most of these pictures have the vibrance reduced by -5 to -13 so they look "right". I don't adjust saturation levels at all. Quite frankly, I am trying to color correct to what the eye sees. Boy, I almost sound apologetic. Also I have lots of lps now so I hope I don't drive sps freaks to crazy with them.

Here is a Vivid's Confetti that a dear friend gave me a frag of at the beginning of this year. Yes, it was a multi-branch frag that he gave me. He also gave me that Crazy T monti in the background and yes it is really very orange.

coral-5.jpg
Welcome back!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see that you co tunze to persevere my friend .
Whatever doesn’t kill you , only makes you stronger and this time you will emerge as the Phoenix - soaring higher up than you ever did from the ashes .

Regards,
Abhishek

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

coral-5.jpg
Hey man hows everything doing?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

This is so great to see you back!

I have a grow out of your z-1 if you want a frag it’s all yours.

Glad you have decided to continue! Best of luck going forward, I know it will be a beautiful tank!

Glad to see that you co tunze to persevere my friend .
Whatever doesn’t kill you , only makes you stronger and this time you will emerge as the Phoenix - soaring higher up than you ever did from the ashes .

Regards,
Abhishek

Glad to see you back.

Thank you guys. Thought I would share a t5 only picture of vivid's confetti. I find Vivid's Confetti so interesting because it can look so different between two spots in the same tank. I previously had a frag of this from the same buddy and it looked so very different in its other spot. This reddish/pink version is my favorite.

Vivid Confetti's (shot under t5 lights only)

coral-1-2.jpg

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mark, its great to see you back. Give me a jingle if you want to look at what I have. Z's dream is 4" across and growing well!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wonderful!! So glad you're bouncing back!!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

coral-5.jpg
Really glad to see it! Good luck with the regrowth!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back