Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are dope! Favias are some of my favs!
Those look awesome!
Thanks guys

Here is the humilis, it was photographed this morning under reefbrite xhos blue, top down. Top down is the most flattering angle. Plus below it, is the same humilis from a few months ago. It appears happy and growing well.

coral-44.jpg

The picture below is from September/October of 2019
coral-100.jpg

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice corals and picture!!!
Can you post pictures of your Z's paradise and Gold Dust.?
I would love to see different angles of those two.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys

Here is the humilis, it was photographed this morning under reefbrite xhos blue, top down. Top down is the most flattering angle. Plus below it, is the same humilis from a few months ago. It appears happy and growing well.

coral-44.jpg

The picture below is from September/October of 2019
coral-100.jpg

Off topic...but not... ;) What are you using to take photos.... they are amazing. What are thank lights at, what camera, camera setting etc etc. This is one area I have to get better at. Thanks for any advice

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic...but not... ;) What are you using to take photos.... they are amazing. What are thank lights at, what camera, camera setting etc etc. This is one area I have to get better at. Thanks for any advice

Just took new photos yesterday. I take my photo's under reefbrites. I take 99% or more of the pictures top down in my display. My SPS are encrusted on the rock not on tiles. I use an 85B filter, shutter speed 1/60 unless I accidentally change it, aperture f8, and usually iso 400. I hand hold because I don't have an attachment to my tripod for topdown over my aquarium. In fact, I am usually standing on a ladder to get the pictures. I use lightroom and color adjust the Kelvin and tint to match up with how it looks to the eye, often I increase exposure and lastly I reduce saturation to -10 and reduce vibrance to -5. I convert the image to jpg, reduce the size of the image and then I can post. You can always send me a pm if you want to talk more specifically about photography.

Sorry its been a while since I posted. I was in Australia and New Zealand from late January to late February. Fortunately, did not contract corona virus while traveling. Didn't appreciate the significance or potential of the virus at that time but neither did much of the rest of the world ( although I should have been smart enough to realize how threatening it was ). And since then, I have been in a funk over the pandemic. Like everyone else, dealing with repercussions but healthy at least. Fortunately, the tank survived my long absence while in Australia and New Zealand. Everything is doing well. And I am back to picture taking.

Z's Grainbow (Its called that because its a rainbow with a lot of green in it)

coral-2.jpg

coral-3.jpg

Below is: Reef Raft USA Orange Machine I have had this probably for a year plus. During most of that time, it has been simply green and encrusting. The branches are finally just starting to get a hint of orange. Hopefully it will get prettier over time. I typically choose frags that come from well colored colonies because if the mother is pretty, the frag will eventually blossom. This particular frag was a gift of a friend and I am not sure if I really paid attention to the mother at that time. I was more concerned with being gracious.

I try not to choose frags based on the prettiness of the frag, I have seen too many pretty frags not turn out well. But I am convinced if the mother colony is gorgeous, so will the frag be ultimately. And I have also learned along the way that lots of frags from pretty mothers initially blah out and then take a their time to blossom fully. There are no absolute rules but we each find methods to our madness. I also try to be patient.

coral-5.jpg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice and agreed.

welcome back, looking forward to more of your pictures... especially the RR rainbow blossom! That’s a dandy!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That orange machine was one of my favorite rr corals of the past years and I got a frag a while back but lost it a while later before it showed anything. I was always curious if it would actually show orange in it or if it was just some photo trickery. Looking forward to an update on that one! Love the pics!

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took new photos yesterday. I take my photo's under reefbrites. I take 99% or more of the pictures top down in my display. My SPS are encrusted on the rock not on tiles. I use an 85B filter, shutter speed 1/60 unless I accidentally change it, aperture f8, and usually iso 400. I hand hold because I don't have an attachment to my tripod for topdown over my aquarium. In fact, I am usually standing on a ladder to get the pictures. I use lightroom and color adjust the Kelvin and tint to match up with how it looks to the eye, often I increase exposure and lastly I reduce saturation to -10 and reduce vibrance to -5. I convert the image to jpg, reduce the size of the image and then I can post. You can always send me a pm if you want to talk more specifically about photography.

Sorry its been a while since I posted. I was in Australia and New Zealand from late January to late February. Fortunately, did not contract corona virus while traveling. Didn't appreciate the significance or potential of the virus at that time but neither did much of the rest of the world ( although I should have been smart enough to realize how threatening it was ). And since then, I have been in a funk over the pandemic. Like everyone else, dealing with repercussions but healthy at least. Fortunately, the tank survived my long absence while in Australia and New Zealand. Everything is doing well. And I am back to picture taking.

Z's Grainbow (Its called that because its a rainbow with a lot of green in it)

coral-2.jpg

coral-3.jpg

Below is: Reef Raft USA Orange Machine I have had this probably for a year plus. During most of that time, it has been simply green and encrusting. The branches are finally just starting to get a hint of orange. Hopefully it will get prettier over time. I typically choose frags that come from well colored colonies because if the mother is pretty, the frag will eventually blossom. This particular frag was a gift of a friend and I am not sure if I really paid attention to the mother at that time. I was more concerned with being gracious.

I try not to choose frags based on the prettiness of the frag, I have seen too many pretty frags not turn out well. But I am convinced if the mother colony is gorgeous, so will the frag be ultimately. And I have also learned along the way that lots of frags from pretty mothers initially blah out and then take a their time to blossom fully. There are no absolute rules but we each find methods to our madness. I also try to be patient.

coral-5.jpg

Thanks for the reply.. Lots of good info here.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are ok. Corals are looking good.

Thank you
Great advice and agreed.

welcome back, looking forward to more of your pictures... especially the RR rainbow blossom! That’s a dandy!

I will post a picture of the rr usa rainbow blossom shortly
That orange machine was one of my favorite rr corals of the past years and I got a frag a while back but lost it a while later before it showed anything. I was always curious if it would actually show orange in it or if it was just some photo trickery. Looking forward to an update on that one! Love the pics!
Thank you. I looked on line after your post and I found a picture of a frag posted by rr usa way back when and the frag and my colony look pretty much the same. Hopefully this thing will blossom as it gets older and bigger.
Just curious how/who you managed the system while away for so long?
My trip was almost 4 weeks longs so I measured out flake food and pellets and placed them in little apple sauce containers in daily increments. So that way, I knew the fish would be fed but not overfed. I usually feed at least a couple times a day but when I am gone, the fish get fed in one feeding. I have tried the apex feeder in the past but it just didn't work out for me. I took out my filter sock because I knew it would just be fully clogged and be more of an issue than help. I made a months worth of ro/di water and filled fourteen 5 gallon jugs to be added to the ATO as needed. Switched out my CO2 tank a couple weeks before I left just to be sure I wouldn't come back to a depleted CO2 tank. The protein skimmer filled up with gunk but it continued to aerate the water. I cleaned my gyre pumps before I left. My circulating pump is a reeflo that is at least 5 plus years old and it fortunately decided not to quit while I was gone. Although my sps encrust on my rock work, I keep most of my lps on disks glued to the rock work. I dont want the Lps to encrust onto the rock and sting my sps, so I always worry when I am gone that those lps disks will fall off and end up face down. I think everything worked out ok this trip. With our new world (corona virus), not sure when I will be traveling again.

RC Poison Envy

(Some pictures just come out less than perfect. The tips on this colony are just not that brilliant blue but I tried and tried and couldn't get it any better. It grows literally too fast.)

coral-4.jpg

Z's Blast

(Interesting colors, hopefully it develops as I hope it will. I have had this a good while and so far it has been primarily encrusting and growing pretty darn slow.)

coral-6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing acros and photography skills! Speaking of RL, do you happen to also have the RL Lady in Pink?
Thank you. I have a small frag

That slither is nice...
Thanks

A pretty yellow mini colony

coral-12.jpg

A pretty pinkish red mini colony

coral-13.jpg

I included the next one because its s reddish purple colony, a bit similar to the one above but definitely different and unique

coral-16.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivid's Confetti---it is in a happy phase.

coral-20.jpg

A little frag below that thinks it doesn't need to grow. It has barely encrusted in months. Hopefully when it does decide to grow, it gets some pretty colors to go with it.
coral-21.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back