Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain't no firecrackers in Australia Mark, your acros look beautiful mate. :)

I am planning a trip to Australia next year but I don't think I want to visit any of your LFS, it would just be too hard to take. The variety and enormity of your corals is so amazing. And as much as I may want to take a souvenir home with me, I won't. I appreciate what CITIES are all about.

This is a very crazy coral below. I think crazy describes it well. It is only a nub but showing some interesting color swirls.

coral-66.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my large colony of JF Flame last year. I had a large frag just kind of thrown on the side and back of my display, not mounted, literally just chucked out of the way. And it is that frag that I replaced where I originally had my jf flame. It is growing like crazy both vertically, branching and encrusting. It is a wonderful color. It is near the top surface so really hard to capture top down, but I found a pretty branch that I could get focus. This colony is now probably 3 inches in diameter and very vertical, probably at least three inches tall as well. You can see the encrusting (out of focus, on the bottom of the photo) which I think is pretty hardy. I had to use a fairly large bone saw to cut the dead colony out earlier this year. The rock work was not coming out, so I used the bone saw in the tank--that was wild and labor intensive.

coral-67.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a trip to Australia next year but I don't think I want to visit any of your LFS, it would just be too hard to take. The variety and enormity of your corals is so amazing. And as much as I may want to take a souvenir home with me, I won't. I appreciate what CITIES are all about.

This is a very crazy coral below. I think crazy describes it well. It is only a nub but showing some interesting color swirls.

coral-66.jpg

That is gorgeous. :)

fishead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificent and inspiring!!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge watchguy. I read somewhere here that firecracker is same coral as fox flame? Would you agree? Maybe we do have firecrackers here in Aus Brett - have seen fox flame here anyway.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is gorgeous. :)
Thank you. thanks for noticing my pictures
Magnificent and inspiring!!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge watchguy. I read somewhere here that firecracker is same coral as fox flame? Would you agree? Maybe we do have firecrackers here in Aus Brett - have seen fox flame here anyway.

They have vaguely similar coloring but very different growth patterns. I will need to take a picture of both and try and point out the differences in colors and growth morphology. They are most definitely NOT the same and really look dramatically different from one another.

A couple of cool acans followed by a relatively new sps frag.

coral-70.jpg

coral-71.jpg

coral-72.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the new sps called?
No name yet

RC Poison Envy under reefbrite blues. Since taking the picture, I moved the rc poison envy to a new spot. That tyree aquascene chalice was stinging it. I also trimmed the chalice to reduce its reach

coral-73.jpg

JF Yellow submarine, and that is an orange sherbet chalice in the background, out of focus.

coral-74.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some pictures at the beginning of this month but i just got around to processing them. I will start sharing them.

coral-51.jpg

This one below is supposed to have orange branches but it just teases with the vaguest hint of orange here and there
coral-52.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more for today

RC Poison Envy A friend shared a beautiful frag with me and it is coloring up and putting on some bulk. There is a post from a couple months ago just a few posts above for comparison.

coral-53.jpg

Another pretty little frag that is getting some color

coral-54.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad you're on the come up, sir!
Its so fun. It really is a joy to look into the tank everyday and see things blossoming, changing, developing. It is great to have a happy tank. One of those hard lessons with reefing is enjoy the good times because something unexpected is always just around the corner.
Looking good! Love that swirly looking small fragment, how is it looking today?
Growing but perhaps not as dramatic swirls, at least in this picture.

coral-109.jpg

This frag below came from a friend, his is exploding in growth and mine is making progress but not exactly exploding
coral-57.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so fun. It really is a joy to look into the tank everyday and see things blossoming, changing, developing. It is great to have a happy tank. One of those hard lessons with reefing is enjoy the good times because something unexpected is always just around the corner.

Growing but perhaps not as dramatic swirls, at least in this picture.

coral-109.jpg

This frag below came from a friend, his is exploding in growth and mine is making progress but not exactly exploding
coral-57.jpg
Very well said!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back