Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy but here are a few more pictures:

It is small but it should be stunning down the road, patience

coral-58.jpg

Below is WWC what the heck, not my favorite name for a coral but then i didn't have anything to do with the name. Its actually seems like it is much bigger than the photograph demonstrates. I hope it keeps coloring up.
coral-60.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another day another picture

As you can probably tell, I am optimistic Hoping this little guy blossoms. At least it is encrusting, note the coralline algae die back, the white area at the perimeter of the encrustation
coral-61.jpg

This guy below is ever so pretty, Vivid's Confetti. I find it extraordinary in that it morphs in different locations as well as different tanks, but still awfully dramatic and pretty. I caught this picture while it demonstrates some hefty polyp extension.

coral-63.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still happen to have the reef raft canada UOP?
I do not . My friend has a surviving frag so I hope to get it back sometime in the future. Interestingly, RR Asia has a UOP but it is not the same. So hopefully, RRC UOP may get once again grown out eventually, In the meantime, I am rooting for my friends tank to remain stable.

On to a different topic, the frag below is a piece that started encrusting and growing and then has gone into hibernation mode. Don't know why it is not growing but it promises to be interesting once it does grow
coral-69.jpg

A very pretty tenuis that is starting to shine below

coral-70.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few LPS mixed into my SPS tank.

A couple of pretty chalices for a splash of color

coral-78.jpg

A sun shiny chalice

coral-79.jpg

And then another little frag. Red and green seems to be the current colors of a lot of my SPS frags. At least the blue tips add a bit of intrigue

coral-82.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few more to share today:

My RR USA Pink Floyd, no long bright red polyps yet. When I got the frags, yes three little frags, they had more bright red polyps. Hopefully this is just a phase while the coral expends energy on encrusting and expanding. Patience...

coral-84.jpg

some pretty lps nearby the frag above,

coral-85.jpg

As well as a pretty chalice

coral-86.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be tied up for the rest of the week so more of my pictures may not get shared until next week. Although, I am not sure anyone really cares except me. LOL

It may be old school, it may be inexpensive but it remains pretty and bright. Garf's Bonzai, plus it grows anywhere, even a few inches above the sand.

coral-87.jpg

Another LPS below, but some of these I find so beautiful and colorful.

coral-88.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be tied up for the rest of the week so more of my pictures may not get shared until next week. Although, I am not sure anyone really cares except me. LOL

It may be old school, it may be inexpensive but it remains pretty and bright. Garf's Bonzai, plus it grows anywhere, even a few inches above the sand.

coral-87.jpg

Another LPS below, but some of these I find so beautiful and colorful.

coral-88.jpg
I think we all enjoy the updates

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we all enjoy the updates
Thanks, I always appreciate feedback.

I love some of the crazy colored cyphasterea as long as they don't climb onto my rock work. Sorry not a great photo
coral-89.jpg

Reef Raft USA Firecracker The first image is from a few months ago and the bottom image is more recent

coral-65.jpg

coral-90.jpg

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I need some of that in my life
Thanks, I always appreciate feedback.

I love some of the crazy colored cyphasterea as long as they don't climb onto my rock work. Sorry not a great photo
coral-89.jpg

Reef Raft USA Firecracker The first image is from a few months ago and the bottom image is more recent

coral-65.jpg

coral-90.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As usual, amazing photos! Thanks for sharing those with us!

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I need some of that in my life
Corals are amazing to look and stare at. This is a very mesmerizing hobby
Awesome, all of it!
I get so much joy watching coral growth and development. Particularly when they turn out to be bright and colorful as well.
As usual, amazing photos! Thanks for sharing those with us!
I have been and am motivated by photographs sharing and documenting corals

Another day, another couple of pictures

I dont know what this is going to turn out to look like, but I think it may be interesting at the least.

coral-91.jpg

coral-152.jpg

We all have different sense of esthetics, but I think this is a highly colorful and unusual coral. And this photo fails to capture all the color. I am going to try and take a better picture of this down the road because it is deserving.

coral-92.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have been involved in reefing for a lot of years. Have experimented with all kinds of approaches and after my last crash, I have gone back to simple and careful. the tank has been very stable for well over a year. I started reaquiring frags about a year ago and I have seen some wonderful growth and color and so I wanted to share as well as track my own progress. Many of my frags originated with reefers on this forum, so thank you to all of those reefers. I got a new camera but not a macro lens so some of my photos will not be all that great. I also have a bow front tank so sometimes it is impossible to get a front view shot because of the distortion in the bow glass. But I think most photos are good enough to appreciate the color and growth of some of these coral. I have tried very very hard to keep colors accurate and unmanipulated as much as possible. My adjustments have been primarily exposure and white balance.

just a cool shot of a few corals
cool-acros.jpg

colors did not come out well, this is really bright green body with bluish purple tips, oh well.
wild-acro.jpg

I try never to pick up maricultured corals but here is an exception, I was helping out a friend who got stuck with too many from too good a deal.
wild-acro-2.jpg

A small frag of vivid's tricolor prostrata
vivids-tricolor-prostrata.jpg

Another no namer, from Vivid's as well.
vivid-unknown.jpg

Strawberry shortcake, it may be the uc version, I am not sure but will check
uc-strawberry-shortcake.jpg

Tyree orange setosa, an oldie but goodie (maybe not that old). This colony has really neat growth pattern. I have multiple colonies throughout my tank and they grow and color differently depending on flow and light.
tyree-orange-setosa.jpg

tyree lime in the sky
tyree-lime-in-the-sky.jpg

tyree fire and ice, a little bit weird angle so the coloring looks strange in the photo because of the shading
tyree-fire-and-ice.jpg

This is a second frag of tyree fire and ice from a different source and it is just beginning to grow.
tyree-fire-and-ice-frag-2.jpg
Yikes.... That incrusting blue polyp whatever it is a beast (photo 3 and 5). I started out with a small piece about 5 years ago and it has taken over. No corals can stand up to it. I strongly recommend isolating it or getting rid of it. In the long run you will regret it's current location. If you have an anemone rock, it would work there.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back