Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TGC Cherry Bomb

coral-25.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to my many purple body with blue tips examples. Don't get me wrong, I like them all and they differ from each other but you have to admit, this does seem to be a repeating color theme

coral-30.jpg

coral-31.jpg

It seems like a great problem to have. Looks amazing!

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a great problem to have. Looks amazing!
It is a good problem to have and thank you.

If you move over to the right and a little down from the picture above: A little different color scheme.

TSA Priness Peach.

coral-32.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My crazy humilis

coral-42.jpg

Under metal halides below although I doubt too many of us metal halide buffs are still around. I certainly do not have plans to give up metal halides with this tank but its so much more fun to enjoy the tank under blues. My reefbrite xhos are set for most of the time that i want to look at the tank. For those who prefer the "whiter" look, to each his or her own but recognize neither is "real". Remember we call this artificial lighting. It is why we try to use a range of spectrums that both grow coral as well as make them enjoyable to view.
coral-202.jpg

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an absolute stunner. I have heard so many people like to place their's in lower light. Mine is practically out of the water, I have it set so high.

Jason Fox Flame

coral-50-2.jpg
Nice flame! I’m still holding out for you to post a pic of your RL lady in pink. Is your developing these colors?
I have a very small frag too but I lost the orange and pink that was starting to develop when my nutrients went to 0 and 0.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture below is an interesting SPS, it has an orange body and then the branches turn reddish purple. I think it is very uniquely colored and really pretty. Came from a wonderful reefer, Pigmo. Additionally, I am developing areas of a fluorescent pink coralline algae, I hope it spreads throughout. You can see a bit of it on the disk in the top right corner.

Pigmo's Plosion

coral-73.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark do you have these two pieces still? I saw them on the first page. The red one is awesome and reminds me of one of copps corals. The purple one I am wondering if you know what species it is?

4F9AB074-3884-44FC-958F-F851F99B3BFA.jpeg
60EE1EC0-9199-4B4E-BA06-F0C560673BFD.jpeg

Keep up the good work! I love how long this thread has gotten over the years.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark do you have these two pieces still? I saw them on the first page. The red one is awesome and reminds me of one of copps corals. The purple one I am wondering if you know what species it is?

Keep up the good work! I love how long this thread has gotten over the years.

I do not have those pieces. They are two crashes removed from my tank, one of my doing and one of an extended power outage due to raging southern cal fires (I guess I could take blame for not having a generator for that one as well). The red one (bottom picture) is to the best of my recall something called a Texas Red stag, at least that is what I believe. That picture is from a good while ago. It was really pretty. The other one , I have no idea. Looks like a prostrata but I have a hard enough time distinguishing a millie from a tenuis so probably have that one wrong. I think I only had halides back then. Red, blue and green were the predominant coral colors with a few corals having contrasting tips. Everyone seemed to get excited when you got a light colored green acro, and if you squinted just right, you could imagine the coral yellow. The best part of a whiter spectrum is it is the most flattering color for fish. The fish colors are as vibrant as when you are snorkeling. Bluer spectrums although lighting up fluorescence in coral, seems to diminish the bright vivid colors of fish, in my mind. Thanks for your post and thanks for looking back at some of my first pictures.

The coral below when it gets happy, develops pretty blue tips. It also has some bright little spots in the polyps which look a little bit like sparkles. Behind it, and out of focus is a pretty monti that i got from a friend. The monti is green in the center, with a vivid large orange edge and purple polyps. I don't think I have a clear picture of the monti so i guess I need to get that done soon. Anyway...

TGC (RRA) Ray's Rainbow

coral-67.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, thanks for the reply. I figured they would be gone but it was worth a shot. That red one was really cool. I actually have a rays rainbow frag that I got from cc that I am excited to grow. Did that piece need higher light for you or no?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, thanks for the reply. I figured they would be gone but it was worth a shot. That red one was really cool. I actually have a rays rainbow frag that I got from cc that I am excited to grow. Did that piece need higher light for you or no?
I have kept the Rays rainbow at about the bottom 1/3 of my tank. I don’t know if it would do better in higher light or not.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been on this forum in a while. Nice to see your corals again Mark
Nice to hear from you. Its been too long.

In the picture above of TGC Ray's Rainbow, I commented on the monti in the background so I took a picture of it. Actually a few pictures, as you can see below and I took them with 20k metal halides (radiums), t5's and reefbrites, no filter. It certainly glows more intensely under reefbrites only but the metal halides don't diminish its color. I think it is an unusual monti and the color under metal halides as shown below is pretty awesome. Oh and for size reference, that is a 3 inch disk that it is growing out on.

coral-302.jpg

coral-300.jpg

coral-301.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bulbs are you running?

corey
Hey Corey,
I use three radium 20k 250 watt metal halides, and 4 t5 80 watt blue plus Ati bulbs in a geismman fixture. Then I have added reefbrite xhos as well to my display. I also have a separate system, 15 gallon frag tank with a Radion XR30 pro 4th generation. The color fluorescence is very different between the two systems.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back