Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is a lot to learn with reef videos but this looks like fun, at least for now. Enjoy my second effort.

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are all quarantined (most of us), so, heck, its fun to make these--guess, it doesn't matter if anyone but me is watching them.

<iframe src="" width="640" height="564" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="" width="640" height="564" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them all, nice! :)
I’m watching very beautiful
Thank you, guys. Much appreciated

I took a video of a few of the lps in my sps dominant display. Most of the lps seen are on three inch disks so they don't grow onto my rock. Unfortunately, these don't have large polyps that flow so the video looks more like a montage of photos even though it is all video clips. Additionally, I shot this through the front glass which is a bow front so the sharp focus is missing. It is a learning process. Oh, almost forgot. I shot these under metal halides, not my favorite lighting to view anymore but they were already on.

<iframe src="" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your daily light cycle on the Radiums?
Hey Corey,
I use three radium 20k 250 watt metal halides, and 4 t5 80 watt blue plus Ati bulbs in a geismman fixture. Then I have added reefbrite xhos as well to my display. I also have a separate system, 15 gallon frag tank with a Radion XR30 pro 4th generation. The color fluorescence is very different between the two systems.
What is your light cycle for the. Radiums?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you lose it?
What a terrible thing to suggest, lol. No, it is just a teenager and not nearly big enough to frag. It has been encrusting and sending out little branches. Plus like a teenager, its going through that ugly stage. Actually, I am not sure it will hold up to the promise it seemed to suggest at first. I have long held that you need to wait for colony size to decide whether you have a gem or not. Many frags look great on a rack or as new specimens, but all need to pass the test of time. I strongly believe until or unless you see the colony, the verdict can't be made. So time will tell. Lets see if any of those branches ultimately demonstrate the melting crayon. A wee bit more patience

coral-910.jpg

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a terrible thing to suggest, lol. No, it is just a teenager and not nearly big enough to frag. It has been encrusting and sending out little branches. Plus like a teenager, its going through that ugly stage. Actually, I am not sure it will hold up to the promise it seemed to suggest at first. I have long held that you need to wait for colony size to decide whether you have a gem or not. Many frags look great on a rack or as new specimens, but all need to pass the test of time. I strongly believe until or unless you see the colony, the verdict can't be made. So time will tell. Lets see if any of those branches ultimately demonstrate the melting crayon. A wee bit more patience

coral-910.jpg
great analogy! what sps frags do you have available?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shown this monti under metal halides on the last page, but here it is under reefbrites xho blues. It has a crazy green center then orange body with purplish blue polyps. My buddy says it gets blue in the very center if you get lucky with it.

coral-913.jpg

coral-915.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another day in quarantine, no not the coral, rather me, the reef keeper. Check out the picture below, Pigmo's Plosion. Bright metallic copper at the base that transforms into red/purple in the latter part of the branches with blue growth tips. I think it is really pretty. I have shown this coral before but it really seems to be just beginning to blossom now. @pigmo

coral-990.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am infatuated with this monti although I am not so sure about anyone else. So I thought I would pull all the recent pictures that were taken under different lighting together. I thought it would be interesting to see how it looked under different lights. A have a radion light over my frag tank, so I removed it from the display to capture the last two pictures and then returned it to the display.

Metal halide in the display tank , below (it is on a three inch disk in all pictures) This picture was from a few weeks ago.

coral-300.jpg

Reefbrite xho in display tank, below
coral-915.jpg

Radion deep blue lighting in frag tank, below These last two pictures were taken just this week.

coral-980.jpg

Hand held, "out of water" Radion deep blue lighting

coral-981.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change day is tomorrow. Wish my tank had been set up to allow automatic water changes without me being the "automatic water changer". I would like to eventually set up a new tank in a different spot because my days seem to be numbered as the "automatic water changer". It is physically challenging.

coral-1007.jpg

coral-1010.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first pic is a winner, nice coral!
Thank you.

I know its an sps thread, but I have a few lps to share. Plus a mixed tank is interesting as well. this picture was taken "out of water", under radion deep blue or blue--sorry, I am not 100% sure which it was. But it definitely is a blue led picture.

JF Psycho Rim

coral-1020.jpg

And here it is in my display below, in which that three inch disk is glued to my rock work under reefbrite xho blues. the orientation is different on the two pictures. On the picture where I am holding it (above), I apparently rotated the disk in my hand. I didn't notice the change in orientation until I saw the two pictures. I have had this coral for a good while.

coral-1001.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon acros can be so pretty. Both the color and contrasting growth pattern of the dragon makes it a nice addition to the tank. Haven't shared pictures lately but the tank is doing well. I was not watching phosphates and they have creeped up pretty high. I have been manually dosing both vinegar and potassium nitrate to push the phosphates lower. I have used GFO in the past but I really don't want to now. I will see how long this takes to bring the phosphates down.

coral-1.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back