Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to taking some more pictures to share.

coral-7.jpg

coral-6.jpg

coral-5.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are amazing! And so are your photography skills! Great job!
Thanks
I thought it was fun focusing in on different corals at different depths in that top down picture.
Very cool!
Thank you

I have a lot o LPS on disks mainly 3 inch disks but some smaller ones as well. the idea is to keep the lps from attaching to the rockwork. The SPS are encrusting on the rock work. I like taking really zoomed in pictures but I took a bunch with a wider perspective.

Z's Goldust it has lots of gold along the branches and you might notice just above the base of the colony on the bottom left that there is a bright green transfer of color. I like this coral a lot. Its a bit hard to tell in that photo but the colony is about 6 or 7 inches inches tall

coral-11.jpg

And here is a photo with a wider perspective and you can see some of the LPS on disks. The bizarro cyphasterea in the center is a three inch disk

coral-12.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing as usual!

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this thread... My sps tank crashed and working on getting it backup and running.. when posting some of these pics can we get some short info like how much par is it sitting under..

Now if I only had an helper to glue all my new frags and more to the rock

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this thread... My sps tank crashed and working on getting it backup and running.. when posting some of these pics can we get some short info like how much par is it sitting under..

Now if I only had an helper to glue all my new frags and more to the rock
Unfortunately, I have never used a par meter. the pictures below are the lowest tier of my rock work above the sand. I use metal halides, 3 radium 20k 250 watts, t5's, 4 ATI 80 watt blue plus, and reefbrite xho's. Each of those lights independently do pretty well and in combination probably even better. My favorite SPS go near the top and when real estate gets used up, my next new favorites gets the real estate that is left over.
Bubblebath unicorn is one of my all time favorite pieces. Adam has remarkable stock
Adam, at Battle Corals, is a good guy.

Z's Red Granulosa I think it is pretty darn cool. You can see more of my assorted LPS on disks surrounding my sps. And if you are curious, those white spots on my rock work are the result of asterina starfish but I have had a harlequin shrimp hunting and munching those starfish down for a bit now.

coral-16.jpg

And here is a picture of more of those LPS. This is probably about 4-8 inches off the sand. I use mainly three inch disks for my LPS but also two inch disks when space is unavailable.

coral-17.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to get a picture when the pyramid butterfly fish came along and photo bombed the effort

coral-18.jpg

So a more successful effort below, the fish moved out of the way.

I have a lot of different favias and this three inch disk is the JF yellow submarine, I have multiple frags growing of the mother colony and I find it interesting that this one frag developed so much red. I guess at three inches, this frag should be called its own mother colony now.

Framed on the top center, is RR USA Firecracker, the far right bottom is RR USA Red Diablo. My RRU Red Diablo can be traced back to the original colony. It is extremely slow growing and has been encrusting forever but now is just starting to send branches out. Just off the left center, is Snipers Bubble Gum Millie. I have had it for a good while, moved it once. It is pretty far down in the tank and not all that happy.

coral-19.jpg

BillyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
Crazy beautiful pictures for YEARS now, glad to see things are still humming along, absolutely amazing photos and collection!
Cheers :)
Stunning coral collection. The variety amazing. I couldn’t make it through all 57 pages but why no frontal shot of the entire display that allows us to see how the corals look all together?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
Crazy beautiful pictures for YEARS now, glad to see things are still humming along, absolutely amazing photos and collection!
Cheers :)
Thanks, and it has been a lot of happy years or reefing with the occasional down in the dump crashes or two. Having a tank full of corals is kind of a combination of childhood as well as adult fascination of the deep sea as well as the enjoyment of growing livestock or crops
Stunning coral collection. The variety amazing. I couldn’t make it through all 57 pages but why no frontal shot of the entire display that allows us to see how the corals look all together?
FTS is kind of something i shy away from. My tank is in a back room, really one of my private places or private escape. It actually feels very personal and private as funny or crazy as that sounds. i enjoy sharing the pieces with my pictures and experience, but the FTS is kind of just for me and maybe a reefing friend or two.

Z's Blue Moon It is right in the center. It looks very different but just as amazing in white light.

coral-24.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of favias and I really enjoy their colors

JF psycho rim
coral-30.jpg

JF Goldrush
coral-31.jpg

TGC Favia of the Gods
coral-32.jpg

Plus I have some micromussa that are also nice

Sometimes called holy grail micromussa
coral-29.jpg

I have to look up the one below from my files, I don't remember off the top of my head its name
coral-45.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice as always!!
Thank you.

I usually don't duplicate sps but my colony of RR Canada Shazam is growing under a ledge and hard to photograph. So I took a frag and placed it in an easier spot to grab a picture of. This frag is just beginning to take off a bit.

RR Canada Shazam

coral-33.jpg

and just a pretty blastomussa below

coral-34.jpg

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you.

I usually don't duplicate sps but my colony of RR Canada Shazam is growing under a ledge and hard to photograph. So I took a frag and placed it in an easier spot to grab a picture of. This frag is just beginning to take off a bit.

RR Canada Shazam

coral-33.jpg

and just a pretty blastomussa below

coral-34.jpg
Is Shazam a slow grower for you? My frag is just starting to encrust

Back