Watchman goby pistol shrimp home

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add a watchman goby pistol shrimp pair in the next week or so (whenever they arrive from dr reef). I have 100 gallon set up with sand.
Couple questions:
1. I would like to have them set up camp in the front of the tank where I can see them. Is there anyway to make some areas of the tank (the back) less hospitable or the front of the tank more inviting to encourage them to set up shop where we can see them?
2. I have caribsea sand and some empty shells from hermits and snails. Anything else I should add or get so they give me a 5 star review on yelp?

thanks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add a watchman goby pistol shrimp pair in the next week or so (whenever they arrive from dr reef). I have 100 gallon set up with sand.
Couple questions:
1. I would like to have them set up camp in the front of the tank where I can see them. Is there anyway to make some areas of the tank (the back) less hospitable or the front of the tank more inviting to encourage them to set up shop where we can see them?
2. I have caribsea sand and some empty shells from hermits and snails. Anything else I should add or get so they give me a 5 star review on yelp?

thanks

all rocks UNDER sand, at least 2 inches of sand, shells and such. Beyond that just good params etc. Not really much you can do to make them choose a spot lol.

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck... Mine setup shop in the back of the tank. I moved them and they just wander around throughout my rocks... They will never go where you want them.

Also...like SlugSnorter said. Make sure your rocks are not sitting on top of the sand. The pistol shrimp will dig under them.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the biggest regrets I have is getting a pistol shrimp..lol. I never ever see it and it makes one heck of a mess in my tank. Lesson learned here...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see my goby and pistol shrimp like every few months. I actually never know if they are alive or dead.

They initially setup shop in the front corner of my tank, but over the years they have moved several times. From the front right coner of the tank, to the back, to now under an overhang. But again I rarely see them.

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success?!?
Just a follow up to our previous discussion. I think I made it work. The goal was to get the shrimp and goby to make a home in the front of the aquarium where we might be able to see them.
I put two small pieces of acrylic in the sand around the front left corner of the tank as a little cage. I used some rocks to block a hole that went deep into the rock formation. I put a bunch of shells and rocks around where I hoped they would set up home. The goal was for them to establish there. I then drip acclimated them together in the same bucket over 20 minutes. I netted the goby and actually brought the net all the way down to the base of the rock work in the corner sliding it along the wall so he didn’t escape early. He went over to the rock work and sat there, traumatized. Then, I did the same thing with the shrimp which was a little harder because he wanted to hold onto the net. I eventually got him off and he went right over to the goby and sat there. In about three minutes he started digging right in a perfect spot. Maybe they won’t like it, but it was a good start. Attached is a video.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back