Watchmen goby breathing hard

crysber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchmen goby has been breathing hard the past couple of days, all my other fish are doing fine. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 10, phosphates 0. Tank is 4 months old, finished cycle about 3 months ago (fishless cycle). His bottom lip also seem odd. Not sure what’s going on. (Don’t mind all the floaties I had just fed the tank, o my time he comes out, and my clowns photo bomb haha)

Attachments

• IMG_5335.MOV
    28.5 MB

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchmen goby has been breathing hard the past couple of days, all my other fish are doing fine. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 10, phosphates 0. Tank is 4 months old, finished cycle about 3 months ago (fishless cycle). His bottom lip also seem odd. Not sure what’s going on. (Don’t mind all the floaties I had just fed the tank, o my time he comes out, and my clowns photo bomb haha)

How long do you have the goby?

Did you quarantine it?

OP
OP
C

crysber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had him about 2 weeks, no I don’t currently have a quarantine (I know I know, I’m working on getting one, not much in my tank at the moment so I took a chance) I purchased 2 gobies the other one (smaller) is doing fine

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 10 gallon or something. You are gambling with a losing hand. Its sad to say, but you can expect diseases and parasites. Imagine if that was the case with any other type of pet? It's disturbing if you really think about it. The trade can't afford to medicate and qt everything, so this is what we get.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your tank and how many fish you have? every tank has a limit of fish it can hold

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my qt tank. Its currently empty. It's gravel, a heater cheap light and an internal cascade 40 filter. No rock or anything. It's loaded with pods. I feed ground flake food twice a week and top off with rodi weekly. It's not ideal but it works, and if I need to dump it I'm not worried at all. It's a mess I know.
16155057344028539784072747832003.jpg

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the lip white? usually a sign of stress. what is it eating? and i don't mean what u r feeding. check what all is it eating.

OP
OP
C

crysber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my qt tank. Its currently empty. It's gravel, a heater cheap light and an internal cascade 40 filter. No rock or anything. It's loaded with pods. I feed ground flake food twice a week and top off with rodi weekly. It's not ideal but it works, and if I need to dump it I'm not worried at all. It's a mess I know.
16155057344028539784072747832003.jpg
I’m definitely looking into setting something up!

OP
OP
C

crysber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the lip white? usually a sign of stress. what is it eating? and i don't mean what u r feeding. check what all is it eating.
Yes the bottom lip is white... it eats flakes and brine shrimp, I have see it moving some sand but have not noticed anything else. Hides most of the time unless I’m feeding

OP
OP
C

crysber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your tank and how many fish you have? every tank has a limit of fish it can hold
32g biocube, 2 clowns a firefish, pajama cardinal and these 2 gobies were the last addition (and last fish I plan to stick with) parameters are all in check

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 fish in a 32 in a new tank is pushing the bio filter. IMO that is why your fish is having trouble.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 fish in a 32 in a new tank is pushing the bio filter. IMO that is why your fish is having trouble.
though i don't think any other fish might be causing ur gobies any stress as they are the only bottom dwellers, I do agree with LoCinder about strain on bio filter. can you see oil slime on the surface of the water? Do you have a protein skimmer on your tank? if yes then how dark is the skimmate. if no, then consider investing in a good one. if that's an issue right now than do small water changes every day and see if the goby's health improves. i would suggest changing water little after feeding. that way you can siphon out the uneaten food before it breaks down. Its a lot of work but imo its the safest way.

OP
OP
C

crysber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
though i don't think any other fish might be causing ur gobies any stress as they are the only bottom dwellers, I do agree with LoCinder about strain on bio filter. can you see oil slime on the surface of the water? Do you have a protein skimmer on your tank? if yes then how dark is the skimmate. if no, then consider investing in a good one. if that's an issue right now than do small water changes every day and see if the goby's health improves. i would suggest changing water little after feeding. that way you can siphon out the uneaten food before it breaks down. Its a lot of work but imo its the safest way.
No oil slime on the surface, yes I do have a protein skimmer, the skimmate is not that dark, it’s pretty wet skimmate and looks like dirty water. A slight tint to it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just jumping in here - we see bacterial diseases and flukes on new watchman gobies. The rapid breathing and the fish still feeding makes me consider flukes are the culprit. You might be able to treat your tank with Prazipro, but it will kill any worms you have. If you go that route, aerate the tank well during treatment and dose twice, about a week apart.
Jay

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it has been a while, but has there been any developments? I am asking because my YWG is also breathing fast while otherwise appearing healthy (and eating). All other tank inhabitants, incl. inverts are fine, which make me believe it is not the water. I am on my 2nd round of Prazipro with no improvement.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back