Water booster or new RO system?

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on RO/DI systems. My current one is the RO buddie 50GPD, but it is super slow. I guess since it's just 50GPD maybe I am being impatient but I'm wondering if a booster pump would help.

That or there is someone nearby selling a BRS 4 stage 200GPD around $100 which is what a booster pump would cost from what I've seen.

Would the 200GPD produce water faster with no booster pump ? Can't get both atm unfortunately.

Tank volume is 45 gallon and plan on getting a second 20 gallon.

Thanks!

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the 75 gpd from brs but when I had to change my membrane because i had left outside over the winter. But when I changed it I upgraded to the 100 gpd for me it was a substantial difference.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pump would be a far better purchase.

test your RO system rate...time how long it takes to produce a gallon then multiply by 50, chances are it’s your water pressure, if it’s not then yes you are impatient so buy a bigger System lol

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do buy I new system, check to see if your system allows just a membrane swap, most do, but remember to match the flow restritor to the new membrane.

OP
OP
V

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pump would be a far better purchase.

test your RO system rate...time how long it takes to produce a gallon then multiply by 50, chances are it’s your water pressure, if it’s not then yes you are impatient so buy a bigger System lol
I was able to get about 25gallons in 12 hours. Which looks to be right at the rated amount. Does this mean my water pressure is fine and a higher rated system make more sense?

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A booster pump will not help you make more water. If your rodi system makes 50gpd. Then even with a pump u will maybe make 60gpd. If you want to produce water faster you need a larger gpd membrane. So the 200gpd will produce around 10gph. You might have to change all the filters and maybe the ro membrane and it could be a bit of a cost. I would get the larger 200gpd and test the tds after the di resin

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 50gpd RO buddie produces about 2.5gph and 2.5:1 waste ratio, it is a bit more than the rated capacity but I have a whole house filter so the input water have already passed a sediment and carbon filter. Input water pressure is 55psi. I bought the smart buddie booster and it increased the pressure to 95psi, it now makes 4.5gph and almost 1:1 waste ratio. Been using it for about 4 months. I installed a tds sensor after the membrane and after the DI, membrane output is 4-6 TDS and DI is 0. I do plan to eventually change the membrane to 100gpd when the effectiveness drops below 98%.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get about 25gallons in 12 hours. Which looks to be right at the rated amount. Does this mean my water pressure is fine and a higher rated system make more sense?

What is your current water pressure?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are sure that figure is correct then it sounds like it’s about right, a booster pump will improve that slightly, but if you want to reduce the time then yes you need a bigger membrane.

Remember tho that you only need enough water for a weekly or fortnightly water change, once the tanks are filled, most do around a 10% water change, which would only take around 1.5 hours to make, 12 hours worth would last you over 2-3 months of water changes...I don’t think I would go for the 200gph, I would swap to a 75gph membrane when you need a new one and buy a booster pump, the pump will help the membrane work better, reduce the waste water and maybe produce 10-15% more output from your system in the same time period., than without a pump.

OP
OP
V

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are sure that figure is correct then it sounds like it’s about right, a booster pump will improve that slightly, but if you want to reduce the time then yes you need a bigger membrane.

Remember tho that you only need enough water for a weekly or fortnightly water change, once the tanks are filled, most do around a 10% water change, which would only take around 1.5 hours to make, 12 hours worth would last you over 2-3 months of water changes...I don’t think I would go for the 200gph, I would swap to a 75gph membrane when you need a new one and buy a booster pump, the pump will help the membrane work better, reduce the waste water and maybe produce 10-15% more output from your system in the same time period., than without a pump.
Yeah I think I'm just going to wait till I need a membrane replacement, looks like they have a 100GPD membrane for the RO buddie. Looks like I'm already off to a bad start with the patience portion of the hobby lol.

Thanks everyone for the help!

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I'm just going to wait till I need a membrane replacement, looks like they have a 100GPD membrane for the RO buddie. Looks like I'm already off to a bad start with the patience portion of the hobby lol.

Thanks everyone for the help!
don't forget to change the flow restrictor when you change to 100gpd. if using the smart buddie booster pump, you need to remove the flow restrictor, it has one built in that will work for 50/100 gpd membranes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back