Water bypassing filter socks…I’m so annoyed.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium creator made this filter sock holder. While the socks do fit, as soon as water starts running, the plastic sock ring rocks back and forth like a boat on a rocky wave, allowing water to bypass through the sides of the ring.

I’m so very annoyed by this and I want my filter sock to work efficiently. Please help me.

This same thing in the video happens when water is flowing through.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, kind of fits the definition of “design flaw,” doesn’t it?

Maybe weigh it down with copper pennies? (NOOOOOO!) Lol. Tell us what you figure out. Hope you get some good answers here.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty disappointing. Maybe once they get water flowing through them they will settle in. Have you tried any other sock brands?

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diameter of 4” socks varies widely.
They are not exactly 4”.
Some fit too tight, some rock, some fit just right.
Try a different set.
Exactly this - it was designed for a different brand filter sock

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diameter of 4” socks varies widely.
They are not exactly 4”.
Some fit too tight, some rock, some fit just right.
Try a different set.
You win post of the day!!!

In the video, I placed my 1 micron filter socks. I did want to run 1 microns (at least initially).

I have 100 micron already and I tried it and it’s the perfect fit.

So…Now I need to invest in socks that fit my holes? This is really annoying and kind of scary. What happens if the socks I buy from Amazon stop producing them? I’ll be like a hermit crab without a shell!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the (genius) idea to get the socks I want and just have the aquarium company custom make the holes for me for the 1 micron socks. I can switch out sock holder depending on what type of socks I want to wear for the day!

The aquarium maker made the socks custom to my 100 micron socks. It is a little over 4”.

The 1 micron sock as the same ring size, but the side of the ring is too small.

image.jpg
The plastic part I’m touching. This is what is determining if the socks will fit in the holder or not. There’s no way I can accurately measure this with a ruler, but I can assume the diameter of the 1 microns are smaller.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I’m having another problem with my new sump (we already resolved the problem above).

I told the manufacturer the skimmer that I have, but the pump is not filling because the gap is too short.

Just calm me down. Is it possible for them to remove the silicone, put the glass more to the right (I don’t need 5 socks so we can shorten that part to account for it)

Or will I need a new custom sump made?

680AE8EA-4A10-449D-B3CF-A2D69F38AF36.jpeg
AAAD2780-49A5-4C4E-896E-B9E433D95B08.jpeg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I’m having another problem with my new sump (we already resolved the problem above).

I told the manufacturer the skimmer that I have, but the pump is not filling because the gap is too short.

Just calm me down. Is it possible for them to remove the silicone, put the glass more to the right (I don’t need 5 socks so we can shorten that part to account for it)

Or will I need a new custom sump made?

680AE8EA-4A10-449D-B3CF-A2D69F38AF36.jpeg
AAAD2780-49A5-4C4E-896E-B9E433D95B08.jpeg
Sounds like you should have provided the dimensions you wanted, not hoped they make it how you think you want it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should have provided the dimensions you wanted, not hoped they make it how you think you want it.
Actually, it was their idea that they would get the dimensions from the brand and model online. I had the skimmer but they insisted. They were positive that they wanted to do it like that.

Anyway, I definitely learned my lesson. This is my first time having someone build a tank for me, so it’s normal for me to learn from my mistakes.

I sent the maker a message. I think that they can fix that part pretty easily but we’ll see once they get back to me.

I’m really in no rush here. It will be ok at the end.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a dremel with a grinding, not cutting, wheel and round the hole out more so the top ring of the sock drops in snug.

A larger hole saw bit would be fine too..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back