Water Change After Cycle?

Top Shelf Aquatics

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t remember who, but I wholeheartedly agree that you should eventually set up a fuge in the future but for thirty gallon even a 50% water change will significantly lower nitrates. If it helps, my fiancé got COVID and tested positive for two months so I moved out for a bit (I have major heart and lung damage). He didn’t do a water change (just topped off with rodi) when the tank got really low and nitrates were in the high 40s - 50s and my fish managed to survive for two months.... I was not very happy about the state of the tank.... but they did survive.

802ScubaFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just want to add that on my 32.5g tank my initial cycle had much higher nitrates, I purposefully over did it a bit. Nothing wrong with what you did, your tank will start off with a nice strong bio filter ;) . A good sized water change, re-test and verify a safe range and never look back :D

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
It's just a 30 gallon. I bought a skimmer today to go with all the other equipment I'm accumulating...
If it’s just a 30gal, then go ahead and do 70-90%. You don’t need to do a smaller one and retest to decide if you need to do more. That’d be a waste of time. It’s pretty simple math to know how much you’ll reduce the nitrates by volume.

KrisReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Fresh water allows for more fish/gallon because there are many small freshies that can be housed in a tiny tank.
A 30 marine tank will do best with slower, planned additions of fish -& pre-thinking about bioload, territory & habitat limits in your 30 gallons.

After your water change you will be good to start adding fish?
Here is how that can go wrong quickly:
Typical 1st marine tank additions;
Week -1 pair of clownfish
Week -2 Pretty goby, jawfish, or dottyback
Week -3 (No big Fish issues yet) Random Tang, dwarf angelfish , or Beautiful Butterfly fish
Weekend -3.5 “Help! My Clownfish are fighting, hiding, or dead.”

Not saying you are that guy, just trying to get out front and check how far forward you have planned your next moves?

Everything looks well done thus far. Move forward carefully and steady. HTH

BRS

Do you have reef tank aspirations and visions?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 133 86.4%
  • NO

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
AVAST