water change before adding fish in a newly cycled tank?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished doing a fishless cycle in a 30 gallon tank with beneficial bacteria (all parameters are 0 accept amonnia which is a little over 0 but i don’t think its high enough to affect anything) and I’m about to pick up some clowns tomorrow so I’m wondering if I should do a water change before i add fish? I also thought I would add that i have light diatoms in my tank just in case that affects something.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you observe ammonia conversion to nitrate? If you have not seen nitrate production but you still see ammonia, you may not have actually completed the cycle. 30 days seems quite long for that though. Since you have diatoms already, it's also possible that the diatoms are consuming the nitrate.

How are you testing ammonia? Plenty of people here really question the use of API test kits, and there is a good chance that it may never completely zero out if that's how you're testing.

I actually think it's probably ok to add your fish. Be careful about quarantine with clowns-- it's not easy to treat sick fish "in tank." Strongly suggest at very least setting up an observation qt. It's far easier to qt your fish than it is to have a 76 day fallow period.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you observe ammonia conversion to nitrate? If you have not seen nitrate production but you still see ammonia, you may not have actually completed the cycle. 30 days seems quite long for that though. Since you have diatoms already, it's also possible that the diatoms are consuming the nitrate.

How are you testing ammonia? Plenty of people here really question the use of API test kits, and there is a good chance that it may never completely zero out if that's how you're testing.

I actually think it's probably ok to add your fish. Be careful about quarantine with clowns-- it's not easy to treat sick fish "in tank." Strongly suggest at very least setting up an observation qt. It's far easier to qt your fish than it is to have a 76 day fallow period.
Yes the ammonia did turn into nitrates then when down on its own. It also only took 2 weeks to cycle since i used beneficial bacteria. I’m also useing api test kit which i know is inaccurate sometimes, i think thats why my ammonia reads high so i was going to take my water to get tested somewhere.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the ammonia did turn into nitrates then when down on its own. It also only took 2 weeks to cycle since i used beneficial bacteria. I’m also useing api test kit which i know is inaccurate sometimes, i think thats why my ammonia reads high so i was going to take my water to get tested somewhere.
Sounds like you have read a lot of threads about this-- all of these are normal suggestions. Looks like you're on track. Do consider some sort of QT. I know it really is lame to put off adding fish after so much waiting, but its WAY worse to have to treat sick fish and have pathogens in your tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have read a lot of threads about this-- all of these are normal suggestions. Looks like you're on track. Do consider some sort of QT. I know it really is lame to put off adding fish after so much waiting, but its WAY worse to have to treat sick fish and have pathogens in your tank.
I was thinking of just putting a filter and a heater on a 20 gallon tub i have and use that as a quarantine tank, Is that possible? I really dont have any more room in my house for a quarantine tank.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of just putting a filter and a heater on a 20 gallon tub i have and use that as a quarantine tank, Is that possible? I really dont have any more room in my house for a quarantine tank.
This is totally fine.
A box full of water is the same whether it's glass (aquarium) or plastic (tub) :)

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you quarantine fish for, I’ve seen some people say a week and some say a few months?

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you can verify that your LFS is following a very similar protocol with ALL of their fish, I would follow this to a T.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back