Water Change, need help Urgently Please

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smaller tank 10g, fluctuations are fast. im assuming one of my snails has died
Any ammonia will be gone before you figure out how to mix the water. Tank 2 years old has no need to ever test ammonia. I haven't owned a test kit or tested for ammonia in probably 15 years.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ammonia will be gone before you figure out how to mix the water. Tank 2 years old has no need to ever test ammonia. I haven't owned a test kit or tested for ammonia in probably 15 years.
I understand your views, but I still regularly test, if I didn't then it would have went un noticed? and could have killed the fish. some things that work for one person doesn't necessarily say it works for another. no disrespect for you btw.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your views, but I still regularly test, if I didn't then it would have went un noticed? and could have killed the fish. some things that work for one person doesn't necessarily say it works for another. no disrespect for you btw.
Good luck

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is converted he doesn’t understand

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is converted he doesn’t understand
as in converted to what? I'm not super technical with my tanks, just test regularly and if something is up then I try fix it thats about it lol. so its OK to leave the water change a week?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how you can have a 2 year old tank and have traces of ammonia. Did you dump 20 cubes of food in your tank?

If you have a 2 year old tank, your tank should be able to survive months without water changes with the only issue being a little bit of extra algae.

If you are working minimum wage and can't afford a random $20 expense, you need to get your priorities straight. You are in for a world of hurt later if you keep up the paycheck to paycheck path. Your first priority should be reducing your expenses until you are actively saving at least 5% of your income even if that means cutting down to a single tank. Outside of extenuating circumstances, you should always save more than you make and should always keep at least 6 months worth of expenses as an emergency fund (obviously this will take a few years for you to get to).

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how you can have a 2 year old tank and have traces of ammonia. Did you dump 20 cubes of food in your tank?

If you have a 2 year old tank, your tank should be able to survive months without water changes with the only issue being a little bit of extra algae.

If you are working minimum wage and can't afford a random $20 expense, you need to get your priorities straight. You are in for a world of hurt later if you keep up the paycheck to paycheck path. Your first priority should be reducing your expenses until you are actively saving at least 5% of your income even if that means cutting down to a single tank. Outside of extenuating circumstances, you should always save more than you make and should always keep at least 6 months worth of expenses as an emergency fund (obviously this will take a few years for you to get to).
with all do respect, I was asking about the tank, not for comments on my financial situation.

I dont know if i done something wrong, or as I said if a snail/crab or some sort died. possibly my brother might have fed them when he came to visit and its went un noticed. tanks not overstocked as it has 3 fish inside.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hi all, I've just been an absolute idiot and dropped my refractometer and its completely broken and I need to do a water change ASAP as there is traces of ammonia in the water and is due to be changed. I dont get paid until a week from now so I cant go out and buy another one until then. how can I change my water? I don't want to lose my fish. but the water needs changed. if i put to much or too little salt it can wipe the tank. any suggestions?

thanks
use 1/2 cup per gallon. Should get you in range. Most salt manufacturers have measurement recommndations right on their container

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a credit card, im 19, have my own place, had alot of bills, food etc to pay and I work minimum wage (£9.50) in the uk which nets me around 600 a month after tax reduction, then at the same time you are all probably wondering, why have 3 tanks when you can't afford to run them? simply because I have had them since I was 16 and had fish all my life, usually 100 goes to the tanks a month not including electricity and running costs , just food for the fish, meds etc just short on cash this month unfortunately. happens rarley
In America you would be old enough to apply for one. You should get a credit card and build credit so you can buy a property or car in the future.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In America you would be old enough to apply for one. You should get a credit card and build credit so you can buy a property or car in the future.
I'm in Scotland, UK. im planing on getting one at some point. but I've just turned 19 in May and you need to wait atleast 6 months after your 19th birthday to apply for one. strange but nothing I can do until then

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a credit card, im 19, have my own place, had alot of bills, food etc to pay and I work minimum wage (£9.50) in the uk which nets me around 600 a month after tax reduction, then at the same time you are all probably wondering, why have 3 tanks when you can't afford to run them? simply because I have had them since I was 16 and had fish all my life, usually 100 goes to the tanks a month not including electricity and running costs , just food for the fish, meds etc just short on cash this month unfortunately. happens rarley
Whete in the UK are you? Maybe one of us is close enough to help.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use 1/2 cup per gallon. Should get you in range. Most salt manufacturers have measurement recommndations right on their container
thanks for giving me an actual answer i can work with. I also move the bag of salt into a air tight container as when it stays in the box not properly sealed it tends to go hard. so I throw the box out.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a drive for me, but I'm sure there must be other members up there in the frozen north...
haha, thanks for trying anyways. im just going to wait until next week until I can go to the shop and buy a new one. I'll move my fish into another tank if anything seems wrong. but as some people pointed out it should fix itself. dont know if ill be using this forum again though. people snaping at you for asking a question. anyway thanks for your help mate.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Scotland, UK. im planing on getting one at some point. but I've just turned 19 in May and you need to wait atleast 6 months after your 19th birthday to apply for one. strange but nothing I can do until then
I don't know why people are lecturing you on finances so just ignore lol.

You can also search in google how much salt per gallon for the salt you use! I did that with my red sea coral pro and was able to see what other users found it to be. It's not going to be as accurate as a refractometer but should get you in the "safe" ballpark!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be mixing instructions on the bag/box or it will be on the salt maker's website. I believe most of them target 35ppt. Even if you're a bit lower than this fish are fine with a swing of a couple points. The other suggestions will work as well.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why people are lecturing you on finances so just ignore lol.

You can also search in google how much salt per gallon for the salt you use! I did that with my red sea coral pro and was able to see what other users found it to be. It's not going to be as accurate as a refractometer but should get you in the "safe" ballpark!
thanks and tell me about it lol. I only posted the reason I couldn't afford it, not why I should be able to. especially in times such as just now with food, gas electric all bumping up in price significantly people should be more understanding. is what it is though ‍♂️

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be mixing instructions on the bag/box or it will be on the salt maker's website. I believe most of them target 35ppt. Even if you're a bit lower than this fish are fine with a swing of a couple points. The other suggestions will work as well.
yeah, ill have a look. you'd think by now I'd know how much scoops roughly go in to each bucket lol, but I've lost track

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back