Water change parameters

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried searching for this but just getting more confused. We have a 55g QT/observation tank set up and put 6 fish in a week ago. It has a HOB filter and sponge filter with 4 pieces of rock that were dry. Treated it a few days before the fish with Bio-Spira. Using Safert kits and a Hanna Checker for Phosphate. Ammonia is undetectable to my eye and I have a Seachem badge that says it's safe. Nitrate is 10, Nitrite 0 and Phosphate .32 4 days ago Nitrate was 5 and Phosphate .13 Is there anything here I should be concerned about and do I need a water change ?

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a QT? Just be aware, if you plan on medicating, the rock will absorbed the chemicals.

Nope nothing to be concerned over.
Thanks. Not planning on any medication. We got them from the LFS and they seem fine. We were just hesitant to toss them straight into the DT system that has about 250 g of water to deal with if something crops up.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your worried about algae in the QT. I wouldn't worry about testing for phosphates.

I would only worry about ammonia, and nitrates.

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your worried about algae in the QT. I wouldn't worry about testing for phosphates.

I would only worry about ammonia, and nitrates.
That's good to know. Only lighting with a LED shop light and if algae does crop up, two of the fish are a Foxface and Lawnmower Blenny. At what level would Nitrate be an issue ?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a QT with no inverts, as long as ammonia is 0, I wouldn't really do anything till they were upwards of 50.

Nitrates aren't particularly toxic to fish. Most FOWLR tanks run in the 100 range.

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a QT with no inverts, as long as ammonia is 0, I wouldn't really do anything till they were upwards of 50.

Nitrates aren't particularly toxic to fish. Most FOWLR tanks run in the 100 range.
Ok, I'll relax and watch the fish. LOL Thanks again for the info.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back