Water change question , can I do 5 % twice a week instead of 10 % all at once

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers,

I have a RODI system for my house that has a 3.5 gallon tank. I have a 29 gallon and do at least a 3 gallon water change weekly. I sometimes wait for my system to make more water and do up to a 5 gallon change. My issue is once the tank is drained it takes a long time to process more water.

I am thinking of upgrading to a 60 gallon all in one tank. I was wondering if instead of doing at 6 gallon water change once a week. Could I do a 3 gallon water change twice a week? I am trying to minimize costs and did not want purchase another RODI. I guess I could store 3 gallons and then use the tank. Any advice from experienced and frugal reefer would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Fishkins88

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Absolutely :) nothing wrong with smaller more frequent water changes. Best of luck :)

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers,

I have a RODI system for my house that has a 3.5 gallon tank. I have a 29 gallon and do at least a 3 gallon water change weekly. I sometimes wait for my system to make more water and do up to a 5 gallon change. My issue is once the tank is drained it takes a long time to process more water.

I am thinking of upgrading to a 60 gallon all in one tank. I was wondering if instead of doing at 6 gallon water change once a week. Could I do a 3 gallon water change twice a week? I am trying to minimize costs and did not want purchase another RODI. I guess I could store 3 gallons and then use the tank. Any advice from experienced and frugal reefer would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Fishkins88

Yes, but it doesn't exactly equal a 10% water change since you'll be changing out some of the new water you added previously. I do a daily smaller volume water exchange on my system which is the same concept. It's not a big deal, and there are advantages to more frequent small water changes.

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hijack the thread but i am setting my first reef, its a 10g how much of a water change should i do in a week? i always heard with freshwater that bigger is always better in terms of water changes

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hijack the thread but i am setting my first reef, its a 10g how much of a water change should i do in a week? i always heard with freshwater that bigger is always better in terms of water changes
This is my favorite youtuber for nano reef tanks: https://www.youtube.com/@TOMReefer He seems to aim for about 10 % . My 29 gallon is about 3 month with 13 corals and 4 fish. It has been running well with about a 10 % weekly

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to do water changes based on your water chemistry. If you have elevated nitrates and phosphates, then you want to increase the size or frequency of the water changes. If they are low, then some skip water changes all together and just replenish trace elements.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers,

Best,

Fishkins88
You can..but two things to think about.

1. Double the maintenance
2. Do the math. If you do ONE 10% change, you are removing 10% of the bad stuff. If you do TWO 5% water changes, you are only removing 9.75% of the bad stuff, ceteris paribus. I know it is di minimis, but it does add up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back