Water change simplified...

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my new tank. The tank sit right behind the laundry room, separated by an interior wall.

In theory, i should be able to connect a 1/2in hose from the tank to the laundry drain. i can then drain the aquarium straight to the drain. Alternatively i can attached a small pump to push water to the drain. I think gravity should work, and it allow me to clean the sandbed as well. I plan on storing the gravel cleaner under the cabinet. The other end of the drain is going to be left attach to the washer drain. 1/2 inch because this is the largest hose i can fit in the current washer drain box.

The drain may not support running the washer and extra water from the tank. This is fine, as I can plan my water change when the washer is not running or vice versa.

The goal is not to carry buckets of water.

I'll also run a RO line from the kitchen to the tank ( maybe 15-20ft run under the crawlspace) . Plan have 10G mixing station in the cabinet. This is a AIO setup, without a sump. I can fit a 10G brute and will use a small pump to transfer clear saltwater to the tank.

I have a tankless RO rated for 400GPD. However, it is not designed to run continuously more than 30mins to prevent pump overheat. The system will automatically shut down. I figure should be able to get ~8G in 30mins or less. Will add a DI. The auto shut down is nice, since it will prevent flooding the living room if I forget to turn off the water.

Will this work? Any comment is appreciated.

plumbing.PNG

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "drain box" you are showing isn't a drain its the hot and cold water supply. How about a photo of what you actually have for existing plumbing.

You can use gravity to vacuum the gravel but only if there is enough of a drop (from the tank to the drain) to support a syphon.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "drain box" you are showing isn't a drain its the hot and cold water supply. How about a photo of what you actually have for existing plumbing.

You can use gravity to vacuum the gravel but only if there is enough of a drop (from the tank to the drain) to support a syphon.
There is also a drain there for the washer.

hogger555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work, but I would add an in line valve on your 1/2" drain line to prevent water from your washer getting into your tank. It shouldn't be necessary, but you can never be too safe.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your setup for easy water change?
I have a basement sump (which is directly underneath my livingroom display tank). There is a drain and cold water line there as well.

To do a water change I syphon water out of the sump into the drain. My rodi is mounted on the wall and makes water in a brute can. I mix salt in the can and then pump it back into the sump. I can do 7 gallons in less than 5 minutes.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach...

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my new tank. The tank sit right behind the laundry room, separated by an interior wall.

In theory, i should be able to connect a 1/2in hose from the tank to the laundry drain. i can then drain the aquarium straight to the drain. Alternatively i can attached a small pump to push water to the drain. I think gravity should work, and it allow me to clean the sandbed as well. I plan on storing the gravel cleaner under the cabinet. The other end of the drain is going to be left attach to the washer drain. 1/2 inch because this is the largest hose i can fit in the current washer drain box.

The drain may not support running the washer and extra water from the tank. This is fine, as I can plan my water change when the washer is not running or vice versa.

The goal is not to carry buckets of water.

I'll also run a RO line from the kitchen to the tank ( maybe 15-20ft run under the crawlspace) . Plan have 10G mixing station in the cabinet. This is a AIO setup, without a sump. I can fit a 10G brute and will use a small pump to transfer clear saltwater to the tank.

I have a tankless RO rated for 400GPD. However, it is not designed to run continuously more than 30mins to prevent pump overheat. The system will automatically shut down. I figure should be able to get ~8G in 30mins or less. Will add a DI. The auto shut down is nice, since it will prevent flooding the living room if I forget to turn off the water.

Will this work? Any comment is appreciated.

plumbing.PNG
Sounds like a good plan. I would still use a float switch in the reservoir to make sure it doesn’t overflow Even though it turns off automatically.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an rodi line to the washing machine drain and use versa pumps to do an automated 1.3 gal water change everyday.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the total volume a day changed out?

Something like 3-4 gallons. The dual head reef filler pump I used could pump 15 gpd, although there were several lower volume models.. I put it on a Home Depot timer and away it went.

Those pumps are no longer available, however.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back