Water change temp increase

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my RODI mixing station in my garage with a hose that I use to pump water strait from my storage containers to my tank during water changes. I live in Florida so my pre-mixed water sits around 81.5 degrees and keep my tank(20gal) between 78-80. When doing larger water changes (50%) I’ll get a temp increase of 1-3 degrees depending on the current temp of the tank prior to the water change(max temp post water change is never above 81). Will this be to stressful on corals?(I haven’t added corals yet)

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably depends on what corals. I have a mixed reef made of mostly lps and easy sps. Have never had an issue with temp changes and fairly regularly drop the temp 3-4 degrees in a matter of minutes during the summer.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, should I just adjust the high temp on my tanks thermostat to 79-81? Then there would be less of a sudden increase and the corals would be used to that max temp of 81.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably depends on what corals. I have a mixed reef made of mostly lps and easy sps. Have never had an issue with temp changes and fairly regularly drop the temp 3-4 degrees in a matter of minutes during the summer.
Should have mentioned, mostly lps for now, but eventually some SPS.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, should I just adjust the high temp on my tanks thermostat to 79-81? Then there would be less of a sudden increase and the corals would be used to that max temp of 81.

I would run the tank at the lower temp. I have less nuisance algae issue at temps under 80. My corals seem to grow faster in the summer at temps consistently over 80 though for what that's worth...

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have mentioned, mostly lps for now, but eventually some SPS.

A 3 degree temp change in the situation you describe is nothing significant to the vast majority of corals we keep.

In the winter I have had tanks go from 80 to 74 overnight and stay that low for a few days with no issues. Again this is just my experience with my hardy lps and sps.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a way to cool it down a little would be your best. Fan over the mixing station to cool it down as much as possible. I would say a 1 degree change wouldn’t be bad and fine for most sps corals. Anything more you are playing with fire

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back