Water Change Waste Drains vs Buckets

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, next time you come to Staunton I’ll show you my method ;)

Brute trash cans can easily be wheeled on carpet, lift with the handle on the front side, kind of pick up a little and the rest is history!

I also haven’t done a water change in three months!
Have zero fish is great;)

That hammer is still calling your name!haha

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What isnt my project lol.

And yea thats the idea.
Id like to figure out how to not have to lug 5g buckets to the toilet..... :)
omg..... to the toilet!
Come over here and I’ll find a much better way!
You live in the Bay Area! Put that crap down a sink. You have saltwater in your air over there.hahahaha(don’t do this...)

I pump my water into my kitchen sink. Has been working for years without a problem.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older thread but if you plumb it to the AC drain you risk growing some strange stuff in your ac line. Most people don't flush their ac lines frequently enough and end up having to call out hvac guys to pour vinegar down the line. Also as someone else noted it is likely your ac line is pushing water into a yard somewhere.
I was able to confirm the AC line goes to the sewer but flushing it out wouldn't be a bad idea. Only FW goes down that drain. Thanks for the tip.
Hey, next time you come to Staunton I’ll show you my method ;)

Brute trash cans can easily be wheeled on carpet, lift with the handle on the front side, kind of pick up a little and the rest is history!

I also haven’t done a water change in three months!
Have zero fish is great;)

That hammer is still calling your name!haha
I haven't forgotten about you man! I am getting my Mandarin, Filefish and Court Jester Goby in tomorrow so it will be a nerve inducing day while gf acclimates them while I am at work. Thursday/Friday? Btw you have never even seen my tanks or fish room... I need a new brute to wheel inside. My SW mix setup is in the garage but I would love to get some ideas.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found 3/8" silicone tubing in 50' lengths on Amazon for a great price. And it makes an awesome water change setup that you can easily put away in a closet. Just use a Y-adapter to split near the much shorter tank line. One line from your mixing station with a basic pump, one long line to the sink or other drain, one short line with a PVC hook to the tank. MUCH better for me than the vinyl tubing Python setups.

1611724512545.png

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to confirm the AC line goes to the sewer but flushing it out wouldn't be a bad idea. Only FW goes down that drain. Thanks for the tip.
Many times the problem with the AC shutting off is the float switch in the AC pan when the line gets clogged with bacteria slime. Due to cold weather most people's lines clear up in the winter but if you are running fresh water down that line all year long eventually you will get sludge and your AC drain pain will back. We live in SW Florida so it is a frequent issue for us.

I use a wet dry vac at least once a year to suck that mess out and then pour some vinegar down the line. They make tablets you can put in your drain pan but that will only work during the months you run AC so I would just make pouring vinegar down the line a scheduled maintenance task and maybe supplement with the tablets.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found 3/8" silicone tubing in 50' lengths on Amazon for a great price. And it makes an awesome water change setup that you can easily put away in a closet. Just use a Y-adapter to split near the much shorter tank line. One line from your mixing station with a basic pump, one long line to the sink or other drain, one short line with a PVC hook to the tank. MUCH better for me than the vinyl tubing Python setups.

1611724512545.png
This is a great tip. Thanks!
Many times the problem with the AC shutting off is the float switch in the AC pan when the line gets clogged with bacteria slime. Due to cold weather most people's lines clear up in the winter but if you are running fresh water down that line all year long eventually you will get sludge and your AC drain pain will back. We live in SW Florida so it is a frequent issue for us.

I use a wet dry vac at least once a year to suck that mess out and then pour some vinegar down the line. They make tablets you can put in your drain pan but that will only work during the months you run AC so I would just make pouring vinegar down the line a scheduled maintenance task and maybe supplement with the tablets.
Thank you for the heads up. I will definitely start the vinegar rinse. I do a WC about twice a month. Do you think a cup of vinegar down the drain the day after will suffice?

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great tip. Thanks!

Thank you for the heads up. I will definitely start the vinegar rinse. I do a WC about twice a month. Do you think a cup of vinegar down the drain the day after will suffice?
That is overkill IMO. Even once a month is probably unnecessary. I would buy a pack of AC pan tablets and then do a vinegar wash once every 2-3 months in the months where the AC isn't running. It takes a lot of neglect to build up enough sludge to be a problem.

I use a gel AC pan tablet like these:

Back