Water Change with Copper, how do you do it?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you guys and gals are running copper power in your QT’s is it okay to perform the change then boost the copper back up to 2.5ppm immediately or do you have to add the copper to the new SW before doing the WC?

Thanks!

-Billy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you guys and gals are running copper power in your QT’s is it okay to perform the change then boost the copper back up to 2.5ppm immediately or do you have to add the copper to the new SW before doing the WC?

Thanks!

-Billy
If you know the exact volume of water you are removing and replacing, then you can dose for exactly that amount, either added to the new water going back to the tank, or to the tank itself after you’ve replaced the water. Always let the water circulate for an hour or two and then test for copper to ensure your dose is correct. I like to use a plastic pipette to more accurately measure small volumes of copper.
Jay

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the exact volume of water you are removing and replacing, then you can dose for exactly that amount, either added to the new water going back to the tank, or to the tank itself after you’ve replaced the water. Always let the water circulate for an hour or two and then test for copper to ensure your dose is correct. I like to use a plastic pipette to more accurately measure small volumes of copper.
Jay
I guess I could always use 5gal jugs for the water changes and dedicate them to QT tank WC's.

Thanks!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make 4.5 gallons of water for a change. I will dose that 4.5 gallons to exactly 2.5ppm of copper power and then do the water change. Makes it easy to have the new water pre-dosed.

I have a 10 gallon brute solely dedicated to QT. Makes life easy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were it me - I would have copper at x level mixed a day before - then - just take x gallons out and add x gallons back

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make 4.5 gallons of water for a change. I will dose that 4.5 gallons to exactly 2.5ppm of copper power and then do the water change. Makes it easy to have the new water pre-dosed.

I have a 10 gallon brute solely dedicated to QT. Makes life easy.
My QT is 33gal so doing 9gal changes is about 27% so that's perfect. Now I gotta get more jugs!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT is 33gal so doing 9gal changes is about 27% so that's perfect. Now I gotta get more jugs!

I learned if I pre-dose the new water, if I take out less or more from QT (as long as I don’t go over the 4.5gallons) the qt will never drop below 2.5ppm. I think that makes sense.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I learned if I pre-dose the new water, if I take out less or more from QT (as long as I don’t go over the 4.5gallons) the qt will never drop below 2.5ppm. I think that makes sense.
it doesn't - since you said if I take out less or more. I think you meant to say if you take out x, and put in water with the same concentration with the volume of x - its the same

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I sent you a PM but figured I'd post on here as well if anyone is interested.

My QT water is looking pretty murky, I think I've got a bacteria bloom that might start suffocating the fish. My 30 day copper treatment is finished on 2/23. I want to do a 90% water change on the 33gal QT tank. Doing it with 5gal jugs and dosing copper to each jug is a pain. If I do it all at once and immediately get the copper level up to 2.50ppm is that okay? The tank is in the garage where my SW mixing station is, so direct to tank is simple and quick. Will the 10min drop force me to start the copper treatment all over? After 2 doses the tank reached 2.50ppm on 1/22.

Thanks!

Billy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replied via PM.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back