Water change

Gorelow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 and a 125 and every 4 or 5 weeks the store comes over to do a water change and it's 200 for both tanks. That's alot I think. But if I buy the water from them it's not much less. I have about 5000 dollars in animals in there. Is it better to just leave this to them? Or should I chance mixing it myself and possibly screwing it up. Thanks guys

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make and store a large amount, its the only way to go and after the initial investment, its not costly to maintain the system. It will be cheaper and more convenient for you to do things on your own time rather than the stores hours. You can also keep quality control on your mixtures and rodi water practices.

Last edited:

REEFER-RICK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up and mix your own saltwater you save $$$$ in no time . How much does the store change 5% or more? Just think how much better control you will have doing it yourself

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So $2400 per year for them to do it. A BRS 6 take RODI system costs $350. You can get a three 55 gallon Brute Trash Cans - one for RODI water storage, one for mixing and storage of salt water, and one for taking out the water from the tanks. The trash cans on casters will set you back $600.

What I do is take RODI water and put it in my salt water can. I put in my salt mix and I have power heads in the can to mix the whole thing. When it is time to do a water change, I wheel the empty can to the tank, I siphon off about 40 gallons (I have 44 gallon cans). I also wheel over the salt water can (I have tile floors so it is easy). I pump in the salt water (which is matched for temp, ALK, and salinity). I wheel the full can over to my sink and use the pump to pump it down the drain. I wheel the salt water can back to the mixing station. I pump in RODI water (and get the RODI water going to refill the can). I dump in salt and turn on powerheads and heater (if needed). I get good mixing of salt in 24 hours and if I REALLY HAVE TO, it is probably good to go in about 2 hours. The whole process takes an hour And most of that is pumping and stuff which means it I can do something else as long as I stay alert.

So you will also need a pump and some powerheads and maybe a heater and some hoses and probably extension cords and power strips —- but all that will be had for $300 easy, So all in $1300 or so (your use may be higher or lower). But say you are doing a 50 gallon water change per month, you are doing 600 gallons per year. At say $.50 per gallon, your year outlay will be $300. So you should come out ahead of the game before a year is out. Plus, you have water on hand at all times if you need it and the ability to make more.

And sometimes being able to do a series of water changes in a short time can solve problems in your system or at least buy you time. Yeah it is brute force but brute force can work really nicely.

The downside is it takes you time and maybe you are fine with paying someone else to mess with the whole thing.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends if you can afford for them to do it get them to do it water changes are a PITA

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So $2400 per year for them to do it. A BRS 6 take RODI system costs $350. You can get a three 55 gallon Brute Trash Cans - one for RODI water storage, one for mixing and storage of salt water, and one for taking out the water from the tanks. The trash cans on casters will set you back $600.

What I do is take RODI water and put it in my salt water can. I put in my salt mix and I have power heads in the can to mix the whole thing. When it is time to do a water change, I wheel the empty can to the tank, I siphon off about 40 gallons (I have 44 gallon cans). I also wheel over the salt water can (I have tile floors so it is easy). I pump in the salt water (which is matched for temp, ALK, and salinity). I wheel the full can over to my sink and use the pump to pump it down the drain. I wheel the salt water can back to the mixing station. I pump in RODI water (and get the RODI water going to refill the can). I dump in salt and turn on powerheads and heater (if needed). I get good mixing of salt in 24 hours and if I REALLY HAVE TO, it is probably good to go in about 2 hours. The whole process takes an hour And most of that is pumping and stuff which means it I can do something else as long as I stay alert.

So you will also need a pump and some powerheads and maybe a heater and some hoses and probably extension cords and power strips —- but all that will be had for $300 easy, So all in $1300 or so (your use may be higher or lower). But say you are doing a 50 gallon water change per month, you are doing 600 gallons per year. At say $.50 per gallon, your year outlay will be $300. So you should come out ahead of the game before a year is out. Plus, you have water on hand at all times if you need it and the ability to make more.

And sometimes being able to do a series of water changes in a short time can solve problems in your system or at least buy you time. Yeah it is brute force but brute force can work really nicely.

The downside is it takes you time and maybe you are fine with paying someone else to mess with the whole thing.
This^^^
Plus, if you ever have an emergency, you have the ability to do it yourself. Your lfs won't be open at midnight if you needed it.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s best to invest in a good Ro/di if you don’t already have and mix your own. I’m sure the store is closed certain days and if you ever had an emergency you would have to wait on them.
it’s pretty simple to mix your own.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question you need to ask yourself....

Are you OK with someone else taking care of your tank?

Or is the hands on approach more for you?

If the latter, and you can afford it, let them do it. If you want a more hands on approach and aren't a bumbling idiot, then do it yourself. It's not hard to make and mix SW.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back