Water changes after dinos? And my process of winning against dinos

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to say that I’ve successfully defeated dinos in my tank (will include my process at the end) while I had the problem I watched many YouTube videos and one of them said that I should not do any water changes while treating dinos because certain things in fresh salt water can help the dinos.
how long should I wait before a water change? Is dinos dangerous to fish (it’s now in my qt)

the process I did for defeating dinos was I did a semi blackout. I put all of my corals into my fish qt tank after cleaning that tank and transferred the light. I did in total a 5 day blackout but there was light that pored over from the other tank for my fish so I was able to feed them and watch the tank throughout the blackout. I also used a protein skimmer and UV sterilizer 12 hours after dosing bacteria
The bacteria I used was “dr Tim’s waste away, vibrant, bio-spira and Dino X

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy for your success! That said and understanding that there are many different Dino’s, I perceive that no water changes increases nutrients and thus allows for Dino outcrowding. I perceive Dino’s not gone but successfully managed. If you feel that absence of water changes made the difference to you, there are many hobbyist that work without it and rather supplement what was used up. Makes a lot of sense for big tanks to use eg Triton method, as water changes are plain impractical.
Some Dino’s create toxins that kill invertebrates first, and carbon may help absorb those. I have lost fish before with Dino outbreak. Considering rapid improvement in hospital tank, toxins one O2 would be the differential.
I continue to use the UV with bulb change annually.

OP
OP
C

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy for your success! That said and understanding that there are many different Dino’s, I perceive that no water changes increases nutrients and thus allows for Dino outcrowding. I perceive Dino’s not gone but successfully managed. If you feel that absence of water changes made the difference to you, there are many hobbyist that work without it and rather supplement what was used up. Makes a lot of sense for big tanks to use eg Triton method, as water changes are plain impractical.
Some Dino’s create toxins that kill invertebrates first, and carbon may help absorb those. I have lost fish before with Dino outbreak. Considering rapid improvement in hospital tank, toxins one O2 would be the differential.
I continue to use the UV with bulb change annually.
Thanks for the response I’ll definitely take your advice to heart

OP
OP
C

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about the 4 products you dosed and how. How much? When? All 4 at one time?ty
Congrats
D
The four I used were dr tims waste away, Dino x, vibrant, and bio spira
I definitely used waste away the most out of the four and each day throughout the process I would go back and forth dosing Dino x one day and waste away the next.
before starting the blackout I manually removed as much as possible with a siphon going into a filter sock in sump.
I didn’t use vibrant or bio spira nearly as much as the other two but I decided it’s a good idea to have a large mix of bacteria’s in the system so I only used vibrant and bio spira once or twice
(PLEASE TAKE CAUTION DOSING BACTERIAS) I know I did overdose these bacteria’s but I had all my corals in a separate system and was prepared for the worst of a bacterial bloom (I also used a UV)
I dosed all of them at around 11 pm (lights go off at 11:10 (it recommends that on bottles)
I dosed all either half or what the bottles recommend
My tank is a 50-55 gallon system
Dr Tim’s 50 ml
Dino X 10 ml
Vibrant 4 ml
Bio spira 50ml ish
1FD37DFD-7F16-4B57-9C3A-5F03965C0A02.jpeg

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to say that I’ve successfully defeated dinos in my tank (will include my process at the end) while I had the problem I watched many YouTube videos and one of them said that I should not do any water changes while treating dinos because certain things in fresh salt water can help the dinos.
how long should I wait before a water change? Is dinos dangerous to fish (it’s now in my qt)

the process I did for defeating dinos was I did a semi blackout. I put all of my corals into my fish qt tank after cleaning that tank and transferred the light. I did in total a 5 day blackout but there was light that pored over from the other tank for my fish so I was able to feed them and watch the tank throughout the blackout. I also used a protein skimmer and UV sterilizer 12 hours after dosing bacteria
The bacteria I used was “dr Tim’s waste away, vibrant, bio-spira and Dino X
How long are you dino free? I moved my fish and stuff to qt tank too which also now has dinos. I was dino free for about a week. I only had 3 watt uv sterilizer so that didn't work. I was curious about the dino x

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back