Water changes during treatment

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to elaborate, what triggers having to do a water change during an emergency quarantine? I am monitoring the ammonia level in the hospital tank and treating for ich. I am doing a 75 gallon hospital tank and have 20 gallons of water ready, already mixed just in case. I also read something when researching that said when doing a water change and treating for copper, do not just treat enough copper for the water you are changing, but completely treat the entire tank again. That just does not even sound right, so that is why I am back here!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just to elaborate, what triggers having to do a water change during an emergency quarantine? I am monitoring the ammonia level in the hospital tank and treating for ich. I am doing a 75 gallon hospital tank and have 20 gallons of water ready, already mixed just in case. I also read something when researching that said when doing a water change and treating for copper, do not just treat enough copper for the water you are changing, but completely treat the entire tank again. That just does not even sound right, so that is why I am back here!
the reason we recommend monitoring ammonia is the exact item- Monitor ammonia level. You know what happens when ammonia becomes elevated.
When ammonia gets above 0.25 -0.3, do a water change. Lets say your copper is 2.47ppm. Mix new water at 2.47-2.48 and add to QT tank to maintain copper level

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird advice to say the least! You only dose the replacement water and then let everything mix for an hour or so and test to ensure you got the dose correct.
Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back