Water Changes on Fallow Tank???

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is in it's fallow period following an outbreak of Marine Velvet. I am planning on going the full 76 days. I am on day 19 today, and my 2 surviving fish will live in the QT until then. I will be nervous as hell when I put fish back in the DT. This has been a horrifying experience.

My DT has a Fire Shrimp, one or two Peppermint Shrimp, and a bunch of snails and crabs. My DT numbers are:
0.0 Ammonia
0.0 Nitrites
0.0 Nitrates

Should I still do occasional water changes on my DT even though my numbers are excellent?

Also, raising the temp on my DT to 81 degrees after reading some info on some other threads.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nutrients are in order there shouldn't be a reason to. There are people with populated tanks that never do water changes.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is in it's fallow period following an outbreak of Marine Velvet. I am planning on going the full 76 days. I am on day 19 today, and my 2 surviving fish will live in the QT until then. I will be nervous as hell when I put fish back in the DT. This has been a horrifying experience.

My DT has a Fire Shrimp, one or two Peppermint Shrimp, and a bunch of snails and crabs. My DT numbers are:
0.0 Ammonia
0.0 Nitrites
0.0 Nitrates

Should I still do occasional water changes on my DT even though my numbers are excellent?

Also, raising the temp on my DT to 81 degrees after reading some info on some other threads.
If you are someone who would have done a water change even if nitrogenous parameters read zero, then you should do a water change as per your typical schedule. If you are someone who does not do a water change when nitrogenous parameters read zero, then you do not need to do a water change. For my current tank, I am following the latter procedure as I only have fish and soft corals right now. Well, also a crab, but anyways. Yeah nah fallowness should not affect your typical water change procedures, whatever it may be.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrates isn't perfect, you need readable numbers for coral growth and biological processes. Also you didn't post any other parameter.

You should keep doing water changes if you have any coral that would deplete other resources but likely can skip a water change and ghost feed. It comes down to what the purpose of your water changes is.

mottomegl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg I am finishing up my almost 85 day fallow period i did water changes on the dt tank every 45 days cause of the corals i added red sea coral nutrition three to four times a week plus reef roids and feeding brine shrimp periodically and everything for the corals turned out well

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back