Water Changes or AWCs... is one better than the other?

What do you think of auto water changes?

• Best thing ever!

Votes: 54 45.4%
  • It's good, but doesn't seem as effective as weekly/bi-weekly

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • I'd like to do it, but haven't

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • I prefer the old fashioned way

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters

MorganAtlanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched to a pair of these Kamoer FX STP pumps from the DOS due to the noise level. The Kamoers are virtually silent and can run 24/7/365. Also way better than the dual-head Masterflex lab pump I had for a few years. With the Kamoers, I change 10ml/min continuously-- around 4 gallons a day.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just started doing AWC with two Versa’s from EcoTech. I was going to go the Apex DOS route but I saw a few videos and the noise was very high. On a 90 gallon system I change about a gallon a day over the course of an hour and the pumps are virtually silent.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I like about the Spectrapure system I have is that you enter the amount you want changed during the day and it runs 150 times during the day to change that amount. Even though the pumps run sequentially (water out then water in) the amount changed each of those 150 times is so small it has no impact whatsoever on my ATO setup.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I like about the Spectrapure system I have is that you enter the amount you want changed during the day and it runs 150 times during the day to change that amount. Even though the pumps run sequentially (water out then water in) the amount changed each of those 150 times is so small it has no impact whatsoever on my ATO setup.

That's what my setup accomplished too, except it was in out at the same time. mine ran for 20-24 x 15 minute periods spread through the day and night (24 being the limit of the number of settings on the home depot timer I had).

Tank volume never changed, unless I wanted it to slowly adjust salinity by intentionally slightly mismatching the in and out.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 5 gallons a day on my 180 automated. Best thing I have spent money on for my tank. I have a 60 gallon tank of salt water that does the AWS via Apex DOS at a rate of 5 gallons a day. Created stability in my tank.

It helps slightly with my Nitrate and Phosphate levels but it really helps with the other parameters of my tank, ALK/CALK/etc. They just don't really change at all. I do dose as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back