Water Changes: Where do you stand on water changes for your reef tank?

Where do you stand on water changes for your reef tank?

• Regular Water Changes

Votes: 746 62.3%
  • Occasional Water Changes

Votes: 230 19.2%
  • Very Seldom Water Changes

Votes: 84 7.0%
  • Water Change ONLY when there is an issue

Votes: 95 7.9%
  • NO Water Changes Ever

Votes: 42 3.5%

• Total voters

bibliophile

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was running & established, maybe a change per month. Currently doing multiple changes per week to get nitrates down before re-stocking.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lived in norcal I would give you one.
I have a couple larger frags but they grow so fast it really doesnt matter.
Here is the piece I just put back today on the same rock.
20200525_180548.jpg
Kingman, Az and no lfs near by even.

Rose's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) never if it is not an issue
2) Could be important if it is an issue - other times - not important for MY tank

P5250117.jpg

P5250118.jpg

Correct myself - i run Triton Core 7 and have to compensate for elevated salinity with around 0.65 L a day - it means around 0.2 % WC a day

Sincerely Lasse
Hmm
2) Could be important if it is an issue - other times - not important for MY tank

P5250117.jpg

P5250118.jpg

Correct myself - i run Triton Core 7 and have to compensate for elevated salinity with around 0.65 L a day - it means around 0.2 % WC a day

Sincerely Lasse
Wow! How do you control the n

P5250117.jpg

P5250118.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
Wow! I'm very interested. How do you control the bad elements? I've been trying to figure this out but it hasn't worked for me. Too much bad stuff

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a 150 with 60 gallon sump but probably 100-120 gallons of water and change 30 gallons weekly but thinking about starting to do that biweekly as my nitrates are really low

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple today. I think it's been a while for a site-wide poll on water changes so let's do it! Let's talk about water changes and where you stand concerning your tank!

1. How often do you "change out your water" in your reef tank, what percent and how many gallons is your system? Or do you even?

2. How important or not important do you think water changes are for your reef tank?

@CMO no water change reef! Thread here.
FTS Sep 19.jpg
When I moved and set up the new display tank total water volume is 80 gallons 46 for the display and 46 for the sum.1 year old , got lazy and didn't setup auto WC . Since doing auto WC big results.

1. How often do you "change out your water" in your reef tank, what percent and how many gallons is your system? Or do you even?

So right now I change 7 gallons every other day. Volume is 80 gallons apprx

2. How important or not important do you think water changes are for your reef tank?

Because I didn't do regular WC I lost a few corals. Never again, get lazy and do no changes. Im only talking about me.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed things I love. Always have. I love my tanks inhabitants. I researched them. Quarantined. Treated for anything they might have had. Then I fed them because I like to. Then they repay me by pooping in their room. So I break out the vacuum and clean it every week. Then I feed them........there is a pattern here I think.

Do whatever you like with your tank. I have done a lot of different things over the years. I blow out some sand almost every day. Vacuum weekly. Clean filters, sponges, skimmer and glass weekly. Blow out rockwork. This works best for me. My tanks never looked so good before. I don't change out water. I vacuum something out everytime. For me anything less is a waste.

I love my little friends. 140, 65 and 40 gallon tanks.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Years of Fumbling with Many methods, including additives to replenish Trace Elements, while doing Monthly Water changes (10%, 20%,) or even 20% every two weeks (hoping to improve things for SPS).........

I finally landed on something that Works for Keeping Sensitive SPS, and resuing Water for less Demanding Tanks.

I Add nothing..... [No Specific Trace Elements, no Coral Foods]

AND...

1) Daily AUTO Water changes. ( Just under 1%) for the Primary 110 Gallon SPS Only Tank
2) Each Tank is DOSED "ESV Two Part" for Alk, Calcium and Mag.

Along with Light GFO every other Week, has Finally achieved (N&P Stability), and conditions that finally, not only keep my SPS alive. SPS have Amazing Color/PE and Resonable GOOD Growth.

And this is something DIFFERENT, that I think isn't common Water Change Practice.

The Auto Water change Setup...(Is A Daisy Chain Tank-to-Tank Cascade [1 Gallon/Daily] )
[[ie. Reusing Water change Water ]]

A) It Uses New Salt Water for the 110 Gal SPS ONLY Tank
B) The 35 Gallon SPS Frag Tank get's USED Water from the 110 Gallon (Prestine Tank)
c) The 90 Galon LPS/MIXED(no SPS) Tank (my Dirty Tank), get's that Water FRom the Frag Tank (The Oldest Water)

Better Explained in a DIAGRAM.

I do this....
2019-04-19_WaterChangerFlow-4Stage-Diagram.jpg

With This
2019-05-24_FirstRunYouTubeThumbNail.jpg

For These.....

2020-05-26_AutoWaterChainDailyChain.jpg

All 3 Tanks are doing VERY well.. (SPS like Never Ever Before in 5+ year)

However after about 4-5 months, the Last Tank gets a 10% water change, since the Corals start to look a bit down at 4 month point.
Next day (after Water Change), All the Corals Spring back to Life.

((( THIS ILLUSTRATES TO me that After 4 months the Last StageMIXED Tank run's low on Trace Elements, or too much toxic build up of Something))

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why Hmm?

Wow! How do you control the n

With refugium and a reversed flow deep sand bed - see my build thread

Wow! I'm very interested. How do you control the bad elements? I've been trying to figure this out but it hasn't worked for me. Too much bad stuff
I´m not sure there is any "bad" elements - rather convinced that the term "bad element" is a invention of a reefer who did not understand what was happening:D in his/hers biological ecosystem that´s named a saltwater aquarium

Sincerely Lasse

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"and revhtree did gather a crowd around before prodding the hornets nest, skipping away laughing gleefully at the chaos unleashed" ......excerpt from the book of reef2reef

IMG_20200526_090611.jpg

Zindebaad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 nano aquariums (3, 10, and 13.5 gallon). I change 1/3 of the water every 2 weeks; more often if there is an issue.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ad that I during this 4 years never, ever had clean sump, sand and other things from detritus by hand. The sand cleaning -> 3 - 4 sea cucumbers manage.

Sincerely Lasse

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at 1 gal a day on a 300+ system in the future.
Simple to implement and will fit in my alloted space.
A gal a day wont upset my balance and will provide a nice complement to my system.
How big is your system?
I will still follow trace element dosing and a carx.
Approximately 80g in volume after accounting for sand and rock.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no WC except for when there is an issue. It's not a competition on how long you can run a tank without WC. If there's a problem and the easiest way is to change water, then you change water. If your water is fine, you don't. And it's not about laziness. Is just another methode of running a reef tank. Not a plug and play method with less work. It's still takes time to get everything to work and it takes a lot of testing and tuning IMO.

Here's a tank from my work, five years after the latest WC. Video by the famous director @Lasse

Limoncello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon display and around 25 gallons in my sump. I have not done a water change in close to 7 years. I dose lime water and magnesium for the trace when salt gets a little low I top off with reef crystals.

DHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 20% replacement in my 24 gallon tank every 2 weeks, as a matter of good practice. I don't know if it is necessary, but it is cheap enough and I like to be safe. I buy Reef Crystals water from my LFS for $.97 per gallon.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I reduce the doses, they stop molting and oddly enough, they seem to live longer if they don’t molt.
During the molt - they are very sensitive for predation. every molt occasion is a matter of life and dead

Sincerely Lasse

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back