Water changes while cycling live shipped rock?

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered 17 lbs of premium decorative rock from gulfliverock.com

My state lands in the 2-3 day shipping range. I know there will be die-off. I am accepting this as fact instead of paying for higher shipping.

I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'm thinking I could start making RO/DI water now so I can do as many water changes as possible to save as much surviving life as possible. I might need more buckets. :)

Upon arrival, I'm going to put the rock in the 10 gallon new aquarium that will have nothing but saltwater in it unless you all think a tote would be better?

Is it possible to change the water to often during the cycle? Let's say I did a 100% water change daily? Will that slow the cycle if I'm not leaving enough bad stuff in the water? Would 2 100% water changes daily be to much? Could I get away with 1 50% water change daily?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use tap water initially, de chlor save money. Harmless

do a change every day until it doesn’t smell then you are set.

Final change or two is the pure water for reefing. Basically dont let them sit in smelly water and they’ll cure out fine. Adding prime doesn’t beat water changes, those export dying mass too vs leave in tank

your test kits are going to over report for weeks, and weeks

smell test is slick, it works because as soon as massive dieoff stops that rock is hungry for tiny amounts and will never permit it to compile, but api would disagree. our nose beats api for low level assessment

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put in a plastic bin or bucket and cycle there because you are going to get a lot of die off and it is easier to remove through water changes in a tub you can then transfer clean rock to tank once cured.

Scrub rock with toothbrush before each water change, as it will remove the dead sponge that will need to be removed through water changes as you cure rock. Most die off that occurs is sponges that create a lot of funk and organic material.

I started my tank with the exact same rock, cycled for about 3.5 weeks in a tub with daily water changes before moving to display (once all sponges died off and smell of decaying material went away).

It is great rock once you get through the curing process.

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put in a plastic bin or bucket and cycle there because you are going to get a lot of die off and it is easier to remove through water changes in a tub you can then transfer clean rock to tank once cured.

Scrub rock with toothbrush before each water change, as it will remove the dead sponge that will need to be removed through water changes as you cure rock. Most die off that occurs is sponges that create a lot of funk and organic material.

I started my tank with the exact same rock, cycled for about 3.5 weeks in a tub with daily water changes before moving to display (once all sponges died off and smell of decaying material went away).

It is great rock once you get through the curing process.
Will scrubbing with a toothbrush kill any good things as well like the feather dusters n such?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d use a knife so you can be more exacting it’s a good call. Pre remove what’s known to cure out, i would too

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will scrubbing with a toothbrush kill any good things as well like the feather dusters n such?
If you use a soft bristle toothbrush it will remove dead debris from live rock without really harming anything that will survive the curing process. I have many feather dusters on the rock in my tank now (over two years later).

FYI my rock from them had zero bad animals upon arrival; I did not need to target remove any bad critters. Good luck.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back