water changes

Bigdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it bad to do 2 partial changes a week versus 1 full change like i have a 5.5 and instead of changing 1 gl. a week ive been changing a half gl. twice a week is this ok

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 5.5 gallon, I think a few partial changes are better. Adds to the stability and keeps levels where they should be.

racermike27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine. I find that doing more frequent water changes in lesser amounts works best (for me at least). In my 120G total volume system I do 15G per week. In my 29G I do 2G a week.

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works either way IMO.....the larger water change would pull more waste out though....

I think Calfo does like 100% water changes with no problems.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done 50% on my reef plenty of times np, but i would think 100% is just like starting over again isnt it?

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the purpose of the water changes. If you are employing them for nutrient removal then the one larger change is better than the 2 smaller changes.

If you were to change 50% of the water and then later on change 50% again you have only changed 75% of the initial water. This is not the case if you are fighting Cyanobacteria, where the large number of water changes of small volume to remove the bacteria that you see can be extremely helpful.

If you are using the changes to replace things then I would suggest looking into other options or deciding if those ions are truely needed. I generally find no need for me to change more than 20% a month.

H2O

thincat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so, because you already have the bacteria in the sand and lr to back things up.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it bad to do 2 partial changes a week versus 1 full change like i have a 5.5 and instead of changing 1 gl. a week ive been changing a half gl. twice a week is this ok

In such a small volume, I would suggest the 1/2 gal. twice a week. This will keep the water quality up and be less of a shock to that small system each time you do it.
Gary

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back