Water changes

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know we should do water changes often with new aquariums but should I still do one even if my nitrates, phosphates, nitrites, ammonia ect are all super low? I finished my cycle 2 weeks ago. I added a pair of clowns last week. This week my parameters are as follows:

Calcium 480
Kh 9
Ph 8
Temp 78 f
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0

Still do a weekly water change or leave it alone?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it alone until nitrates > 20.
If that takes a week, then start your weekly changes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As long as we are talking about monitoring parameters, What test kits are you using as there are a lot of zeros here ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plunge on down about 30 feet into a reef. The waters change about every 2 seconds

2 things

That "water change about every two seconds" is constantly bringing particulate foods and nitrogen+phosphorus sources to the corals

Also, our tank water is practically sterile compared to actual reef water, especially freshly mixed salkt water.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ i do not believe in this.
I dont do wcs until i need to
D

You do not believe what about my comment? That 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate can lead to dinos or cyano? Or that water changes remove nitrate and phospate?

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lisa.gregory11 welcome to the hobby! If you only have two clowns I might wait for nitrates to rise a bit (15-20) as higher nitrates really aren’t going to affect anything in your tank. Think of water changes as a way to freshen everything up and replenish things that get consumed. As you add more fish, corals, inverts, etc to the tank then the value and stability of your parameters will become more important.

Just my opinion but for now I would do 10-15% water change every couple of weeks. But still check your parameters on a regular basis.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dino cyano part.
D

Cyano is able to get nitrogen from the atmosphere, therefore ultra low nitrate in a tank does not bother them while it will have negative effects for their competition. Dr Tim from Drt Tim's aquatic mentions this in his MACNA talk. Dinos pop up extremely frequently when phosphate hits 0. There are dozens and dozens and dozens of threads on this and it is pretty well known in the reefing community that hitting 0 phosphate can lead to dinos and that they go away when phosphate is dosed. I can also back this with the numerous cases of customers I have dealt with who had dinos, people seeing dinos whenever they dose too much nitrate and phopsphate removing bacteria, and having had and solved dinos for my tank too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back