Water changes

aaltayeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 100g tank, 2 months in its life with clownfish, starfish, shrimp and snails.
Levels-
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
How often to change the water at this point in its life. Thanks

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 100g tank, 2 months in its life with clownfish, starfish, shrimp and snails.
Levels-
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
If there are no issues and you are sure important things in the water is not being depleted, such as if because you have been dosing, then no water changes are needed.

Otherwise, you need to do water changes to replenish things that are being consumed. If you have corals, that would be calcium and so on. How much and how often depends on the consumption rate.

If you are not sure about any of this, then 10% a month is probably a good starting point. But again, if there is significant consumption, then you'd need to do water changes more often, bigger water changes, or start dosing.

OP
OP
aaltayeh

aaltayeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer, media reactor with carbon and Chaeto as well. The water has extra particles which probably why I want to change the water

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer, media reactor with carbon and Chaeto as well. The water has extra particles which probably why I want to change the water
'Extra particles' ? Define please...you at a critical point of the start of your reef. Agree with Piston, 10% to start weekly and check your parameters every other day.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels-
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5

10% a week is good with a new tank.

There is a whole lot of biological stuff happening in a new tank, not all of which can be measured chemically.

6 months down the track you'll be able to back off a bit if you can keep nutrients under control.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back