Water conditioners and protein skimmers... Can I not use a RO/DI system?

Zip233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard API Stress Coat and Seachem Prime aren't really compatible with protein skimmers. What would another option be other than getting a reverse osmosis filter? Are there any other chemicals that remove chlorine and other bad chemicals that won't mess with a protein skimmer?

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to maintain a healthy reef tank without using rodi water sounds like an impossible task to me. Unless you live in the Swiss Alps maybe. Even if it works in the beginning you will no doubt accumulate various chemicals and elements that water conditioner can't remove and it won't work for long. Imo you should purchase a quality rodi unit before anything else except maybe the tank. I promise it will pay for itself tenfold. DON'T DO IT!!! -Good luck

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard API Stress Coat and Seachem Prime aren't really compatible with protein skimmers. What would another option be other than getting a reverse osmosis filter? Are there any other chemicals that remove chlorine and other bad chemicals that won't mess with a protein skimmer?

There is no problem using Prime if necessary if you have an ammonia spike for some reason.

You should not be using tap water for a reef tank, as the chemical makeup of the tap water will be adding to the chemistry of your salt mix.

If you do not have an RODI system you should be buying premixed salt water or obtaining Natural Sea Water.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to use dechlorinator and tap water, but you are asking for a lot of grief.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tap water for a year with no issues on my nano reef (I live in the sf bay area). Like others have said prime is good. However, you have a much higher chance of dealing w algae issues. Water def had more nutrients in it than RO when I was using it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back