_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FixReef is now also on YouTube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMAmpCr_0gSwhmTNGzXTPtg

Enjoy this repair, now in HD :)

It has been awhile since my last repair article. And for a good reason, you guys have been keeping me busy with the repairs. Thank you.

Let's take a short break from picking on Neptune Apex and spend some quality time with another hobby darling: Ecotech.

In this repair I'll tackle "the impossible". A fellow reefer sent me this Radion XR30 G3 Pro.
The light was not working of course, but it also had this label attached to the face plate:

1629338956938.png

The sticker on the light reads: "This part is water damaged and can not be used. The part has been disabled for safety reasons".

The history of this light is that, when it failed, the owner sent it in to Ecotech for a after warranty repair. The light came back with this sticker on it and an offer of a tiny discount towards a brand new $800+ G5. So the reefer came to me for... a second opinion.

So let's open it up and find out everything about that water damage!

Here's what the light looked like on the inside:

1629339576542.png

Nothing criminal (yet) on the surface. How about the other side?

1629339711660.png

You know, I'm starting to think someone is pulling my leg here. I wish my own lights looked this good!
How about some good old microscope inspection?

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

That's right. The USB connector above, which is usually exposed to the exterior and rusts out the first, looks brand new with the original shine to it.
I have not seen a G3 in this perfect of a condition before.

The only slight corrosion was around the battery on the board. And even that was not at all bad and certainly wouldn't have cause the light to shut down:

7.jpg

But... alright. So if it's not water damage, then what is actually wrong with this light?
It's time to examine the LED modules.
It turns out that both modules had the most common issue with Radions: a couple of UV LEDs shorted/burned out, plus one or two white LEDs bad as well.
Any chance that replacing those LEDs will fix the light?

Cleaning up and prepping the LED pads on the modules:

8.jpg

9.jpg

It's time to get some brand new replacements:

10.jpg

Replaced all the LED and they even seem to work:

11.jpg

Great. All the bad LEDs have been replaced. It took some effort, but will it actually get the light to work again?

13.jpg

Hey, so far soo good. But I can't fully test this light with no active cooling.
Let's reassemble the light and give it another try.

Always a good idea to put high quality thermal grease where it belongs:

14.jpg

But will the light work at full intensity?

15.jpg

Oh yeah! Not only does it lit up, but it stays at 100% intensity with the cooling running. I also replaced the broken fan while I was at it.

17.jpg

And now the light is fully functional once again.

16.jpg

The biggest mystery of this repair turned out to be the red sticker, presumably from Ecotech service department.
This light was the furthest thing from a water damaged unit. Want to see true water damaged Radion? Head over to my youtube channel and check out this video for an example.
Moreover, the problem was limited to some burned out individual LEDs.
What happened here is that Ecotech assumes all older lights to have "water damage" based solely on the fact that they are old and potentially have been hanging over water for a couple of years. Manufacturer repair service is limited to whole assembly replacement only, which in case of Radion is essentially the main board, LED pucks and the fan. After some time, Ecotech can no longer stock those complete assemblies for older lights, at which point they can no longer repair them and deem them "water damaged" for a reason I can't agree with or endorse. Based on this repair, I'm not sure if Ecotech even opened up the light.

The goal of this article is to bring issues like this to light and also demonstrate that the repair is still quite possible and actually economical in most cases.

But for today, this light is happy again. I will let the owner decide what to do with the red sticker.

Coming soon, among other things:
- Repair of an exotic $500 Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon skimmer controller
- Brain surgery of an Apex DOS or what to do if the CPU burned from the inside

So stay tuned, subscribe to the channel and these articles, but most importantly - enjoy the hobby.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoy your videos.
Particularly when fixing something that the manufacturer says can't be fixed!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed! Also what the heck Ecotech! Just be honest and tell people you no longer service older lights and save people shipping and time. It’s worse to be caught with your pants down.

Last edited:

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You remind me of Luis Rossmann, he's always calling out apple for their horrible diags, seems like apples traits have followed into this industry a tad.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed

Glad the sticker was the only thing they did to disable the unit.
This was my main concern actually. Luckily they didn't actually do anything to disable the light. This goes back to the debate of who actually owns the product once it's purchased.

that's fantastic

are you able to tell us how much the replacement parts cost ?
Eh... I can't tell for sure. But UV LEDs are both the most commonly failing, most expensive as parts and most difficult to find. Depending on the light and the generation, some of them are as much as $5 each for something of a good quality and provenance.
You remind me of Luis Rossmann, he's always calling out apple for their horrible diags, seems like apples traits have followed into this industry a tad.
Haha. "and as always, I hope you learned something (C)". Unfortunately, yes. Manufacturers in this hobby are not yet as bad as Apple from the repair perspective, but the bigger the company the worst it's going to get.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my main concern actually. Luckily they didn't actually do anything to disable the light. This goes back to the debate of who actually owns the product once it's purchased.

I do not understand how there can be a debate on who owns it when purchased. I think there are a number of court cases on that like Ford and the company that build the McFlurry machine.

Were you able to replace the leds with exact replacements?

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand how there can be a debate on who owns it when purchased. I think there are a number of court cases on that like Ford and the company that build the McFlurry machine.
Not a debate in our minds but manufacturers often seem to have a different opinion on the matter. For example, they constantly need to be reminded by the FTC that it's illegal to condition warranty based on the owner opening up or modifying the product. This is based on the magnuson moss warranty act which goes all the way back to 1975. And they keep doing it nonetheless:

And since we are on the Ecotech subject, here's the wording from their limited warranty for G4 lights:
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE INSTALLATION AND OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS VOIDS ALL WARRANTIES UNLESS THE BUYER ESTABLISHES THAT THE DEFECTIVE CONDITION IS NOT RELATED TO SUCH NONCOMPLIANCE. This Limited Warranty does not extend to the use of the Covered Products under abnormal conditions, conditions that exceed the stated performance parameters of the products as provided on the product labelling and in the manual or instructions provided with the Covered Products, or under conditions not reasonably foreseeable to, or beyond the control of, EcoTech Marine. Buyer assumes all risk of any such use. Any attempts at self-repair shall void this limited warranty

Where as, not only does the magnuson moss warranty act explicitly prohibit voiding the warranty just because of a self repair attempt, but it also puts the burden of proof that the repair, modification or disassembly of the device caused the damage on the manufacturer and not the "buyer" or, what I would call the owner.

Were you able to replace the leds with exact replacements?
I always either install exact same LEDs off of donor boards or brand new ones with identical characteristics.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Great work AV. Keep it coming - your work will open many eyes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back