Water flow in reef tank

Ceri720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone:

I have the fluval 13.5 gal EVO tank - going on 3 months now. I have upgraded the light and moved to a Syncra Silent 1.0 pump (on low setting). I have noted much better flow in the tank. I watch each coral frag so see flow evident as much as possible i.e. candy cane coral I can't tell but xenia, clove polyp, duncan - I can see it move and they all seem happier.

I also bought a small wave maker but then it looks like everything is being knocked over no matter how I try to angle the nozzle. I understand the ocean can have strong currents that we need to mimic and flow is needed to move food to coral and remove waste and other nuisances.

How do I know I have enough flow and what is too much? Is there a meter or way to map your tank for flow?

OP
OP
Ceri720

Ceri720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree SJ - I think the Sicce could go up a bit. I still have two frags on the sand bed - the others I have mounted up a bit or mid way on the live rock. Appreciate the feedback.

SJ701

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree SJ - I think the Sicce could go up a bit. I still have two frags on the sand bed - the others I have mounted up a bit or mid way on the live rock. Appreciate the feedback.
Tinkering is half the fun.. You'll find "the perfect setup" and a couple weeks later, you'll have changed it 2 more times..

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup sj7 exactly, I always thought adjustable is great ....more during the day " if you got big swimming fish" less at night ...

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what wave maker you have, it may just be too strong for the tank if you can’t turn it down.

Back