Water flow

Mikeybdetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guy’s,
Was just curious what a good amount of water flow is for saltwater 55gallon tank. I have 2 12inch bubble bars, a UV LIGHT sterilizer which has low flow, and then currently the standard 55gallon tank filter(plan to get a canister filter soon). I am asking because i currently have a puffer and golden nugget maroon clownfish, and I feel like sometimes he is always floating to the top or struggling to swim down. I want good water flow for quality, but just wondering if maybe i should take out one bubble bar? And suggestions?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

It’s hard to say what the issue is solely from the description, but it sounds kind of like a swim bladder issue when you say he can’t swim down?

First, I’d suggest pointing a powerhead towards the surface of the water, and to keep temperature around 78F. That should provide enough oxygen.

I’d take a video, upload to YouTube, then paste the link here of the behavior for us to see. We can diagnose things much better this way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A video would help depict what you’re describing but sounds like resistance to excess water motion

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, and hello!! :)

The reason I like gyre pumps. Great flow, and great for surface agitation.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back