Water from new Salt Water Mixing Station smells like PVC glue -- discard it?

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI All, I recently completed my salt water mixing station. It has a two container vertical alignment that relies on a fair amount of PVC pipe. This morning I mixed my first batch of salt water (10 gallons) and poured it into a couple of 5 gallon jugs. Everything worked great, BUT....... I'm afraid that I didn't allow the PVC glue to cure long enough, because the water smells like PVC cement. Should I discard the water? The glue dried/cured for about 14 hours or so before I used it, and the Oatey instructions call for 2 hours to cure -- but did I use it too soon? Thoughts? Thanks in advance

mixing station.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI All, I recently completed my salt water mixing station. It has a two container vertical alignment that relies on a fair amount of PVC pipe. This morning I mixed my first batch of salt water (10 gallons) and poured it into a couple of 5 gallon jugs. Everything worked great, BUT....... I'm afraid that I didn't allow the PVC glue to cure long enough, because the water smells like PVC cement. Should I discard the water? The glue dried/cured for about 14 hours or so before I used it, and the Oatey instructions call for 2 hours to cure -- but did I use it too soon? Thoughts? Thanks in advance

mixing station.jpg
Mine recently had the same. I put an airstone in it and its gone the next day. I wouldn't worry about the smell.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back