Water Leak Emergency Kit: Do you have one and what's in it?

Do you have a Water Leak Emergency Kit on standby?

• Yes

Votes: 65 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 335 56.3%
  • Not sure what that is

Votes: 183 30.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 2.0%

• Total voters

dallast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received the new FLO by Moen water detectors from our insurance company. This thing is pretty slick and includes an app so that you are notified if there is a leak. It came with three detectors that you can separately name so that you know which detector is going off. They also sell a auto shutoff valve so that it shuts off your main water supply. Home Depot sells them and you could actually save money if you buy the three pack and divide up between friends.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid trash cans, spare pumps, heater,salt. shouldn’t take much since it’s a 34g. Sitting on wool rug on top of hardwood hickory flooring. I hope it doesn’t leak.

I had a bow front crack and leak out all night. Bottom panel cracked like a half moon. Insurance didn’t cover it, would have to prove it was plumbed into the wall and that was the problem. Checked on a rider, it has the same stipulation. The bedroom it was in, carpet was wrecked, lost most of the inhabitants, purple tang looked like Casper, there was only a minimal amount of water left in bottom of tank. LFS fought to have the tank repaired from company which they did. In turn I sold it, no trust left.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a couple of days ago that it's probably a good idea that we have an "emergency kit" for water leaks and issues if you will. You never know when your tank could spring a leak, your plumbing could get cracked or something like that. How many of you can confidently say that if you had a leak at 2am that you would be able to manage on your own? Also don't forget about a spare aquarium or aquariums that you could move coral and fish into during a dire emergency. So let's talk about it!

1. Do you have a "water leak emergency kit" and if so what do you have in it?

2. What are some things you may need during a water leak emergency that people may not think about?

3. Have you ever had a major tank leak and what were the circumstances?

WATER LEAK KIT.jpg

Basically a spare return pump with a long hose attached, brute trashcans, an a cycled tank in the basement with lights and a skimmer, and an empty 75g if #$%@ really hit the fan.

2. What are some things you may need during a water leak emergency that people may not think about?

Flowers and a pre-wrapped box with shiny things in it for the wife?

Thankfully no.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened to me, I lost a 220 gal and would have lost everything if not for late night call to LFS. I ended up getting out of my passion, reefing, only to sell everything and a year later jump back in!, Now I have a back up plan I have a 30 gal salt tank filled and running that I use to add one gallon a day of fresh salt water to DT. In case of emergency I can keep coral and fish in it, short term. I also have extra pumps and powerheads to move water in various containers if need be. Nothing will ignite your heart rate like walking in and seeing a stream of water shooting across the living room when you open the door and walk in. Thank God we decided to come home early from shore or it really could have been a total loss.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a designated leak emergency kit but do have quite a bit of equipment to help out. For livestock could use my 46g QT tank, my 50g cube lps tank, but limited space in there, three 20g longs and a 29g along with 100g and 150g stock tanks I used for temp housing of livestock when I moved. Also have spare heaters, some pumps and HOB filters.
In addition I have a box of spare plumbing parts along with primer and pvc cement I could use to deal with a plumbing failure. As I type this I'm reminded I'm kind of a pack rat at times.
I did put vinyl planking in the room the main tank is in and rest of downstairs is tile so hopefully any water damage would be minimal. Lots of towels and a shopvac for cleanup.
Also have a 275g poly tote I use to store saltwater and try to keep it atleast half full.
Of course I automatically assume the failure would be on my 270g, that's just how things work for me.
If my 50 failed, that would way easier to deal with.

I experienced one tank failure a long time ago. Wasn't a reef but a 90g planted tank. Came home from a wedding to find a flooded livingroom with livestock on the floor. Bottom of tank had failed. Was able to save some in a 20g I had up but lost the majority. Carpet had to be partially pulled up as well for cleanup and drying.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2inch ID hose to transfer water from DT to Sump
A 3/4 inch ID hose from my manifold (jebao dcp15000) to my garage floor and outdoors

+ flex tape
+ industrial fan/dehumidifier
+ two 44 gallon to save stuff
+ reduced my deductible on home insurance

Ofcourse this all works if I’m home

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

My 180 goes, it goes. Put my shoes on so my socks don’t get wet, (Hate wet socks) and put the livestock in another tank. Lock up the house and take the family out for a meal. Give the tank enough time to drain and enough time for the emergency water remdiatation company like Servpro to come to clean.

File the insurance claim and get all new shiny stuff.

BeckyW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but now I’m scared to get a bigger tank!

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will begin unrelated but end up where it should. We have a 89 yr old single level home . I had a plumber out to snake a slow drain. It ended up being a 2 inch deep sewage mess in my basement.
Called pro-serve and they had it cleaned up the same night.
Morale-if my 75 gallon leaks or bursts the amount of water that will go everywhere and through the floor is beyound my skill.
As people have said, buckets, tanks, silicone, etc are great in small cases but having a clean up company at hand is better.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wet vac and nitro for the heart attack.. Have dropped a rock through a 30 gallon freshwater once.. saved the fish but not the water.

Back when an 6 inch Haplichromis ahli - Electric Blue male (when they were still called that...) and 3 females were worth a LOT of money.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shopvac
mop and bucket
lots of towels
duct tape
flash lights (cuz it'll happen at night during a power outage...naturally)
and some large plastic storage bins for hairy, flopping fish (I have a hairy dog)
um...so yeah...I guess I do have a kit.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 tanks (4 FW and 1 reef) and a lot of total water volume, so I take this topic pretty seriously. I know that ultimately it's not a matter of if, but when.

Yes. I have a 90 gallon aquarium in standby complete with a huge HOB filter, heater, point of sale lighting system etc... I also have a large shop vac and approximately 1.78 bzillion old towels laying around. Lastly, since I do auto water changes, I keep a 50 gallon container of SW made up with another 50 gallons of RO to mix up and swap out when depleted. I also have a 30 gallon ATO reservoir, so hopefully if/when the time comes, I'll have the water needed to make an emergency move.

I think that one of the biggest issues could be: Where is this water going to go? I always consider the worst case scenario (total blowout). In my case, I'm fortunate in that all of my tanks are in my man cave/family room in our walk out basement. We have 2 floor drains nearby, so hopefully most of the water will flow toward the drains. You have to consider what is around and especially below the tank(s) that could cause an even bigger issue. Bedrooms, electrical wiring, etc... and plan to mitigate the risks. Not sure what might be needed, but something to think about.

Not yet. I think I'm marginally prepared for a catastrophic failure of any one tank, but if I lose more than one at the same time, I'm kind of SOL.

Charlie C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answered “other” because I’m waiting for the arrival of an Apex leak detection kit. Once that arrives and is hooked up I’ll feel more like I have a kit for leak emergencies. Already have spare tanks, towels, salt, etc.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like leaving town before the landlord sees it???

That’s pretty much my plan.

My landlord never said I couldn’t have a tank, but he never said it’d be alright if I had one either.

The scary part is I’m in a second floor apartment and I have more than 300 gallons of water up here. 115 gallon display, 125 gallons of water in my 175 gallon sump, 50 gallons of water in my quarantine and live food cultivation tank, 20 gallons of top off, and 20 gallons of readymade saltwater on hand.

I’ve updated my renters insurance, but that’s it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back