Water level in chamber 2

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a silly question for a lot of you but pls bear with me, newbie here and it’s something I gotta ask.

I own a waterbox peninsula 15 gallon AIO, it’s my first ever tank and I’m at the beginning of the fish cycle.

I’m not sure if other AIOs are similar in setup or not (I would assume they are) but for my tank, there’s 3 fairly smallish chambers at the back. Chamber 1 is obviously is where the water flows from the main tank through and into the filter sock. I have removed the filter sock because it kept clogging up, due to its shape and it affected the water flow into chamber 2, I have since removed the filter sock and will get a floss cup.

Chamber 2 is the issue. Now I don’t have rock in my tank, just I didn’t want to use it. Instead I got 2 bio blocks which fits nicely into the bottom of chamber 2. No problem. On top of the bio blocks, I’m using the provided bio pellets and 2 filter rectangular sponges on top of that.

The issue is I noticed the water level in chamber 2 is very inconsistent. Sometimes it’s covering the filter sponges by about an inch. Other times, the water level is slightly under the surface of the top sponge I.e the top sponge is not fully submerged. My question is what is the correct level of water needed? I would assume both sponges need to be fully submerged in water. Is it a case of evaporation? Or the sponges are too tight? It’s better with no filter sock but I don’t know what the root of the problem is. I notice some bacteria growing on the sponges now, white-ish in colour - I guess this needs to be fully submerged 24-7?

Chamber 3 is for the return pump, that’s fine. I don’t let the water level in chamber 3 drop below the marker.

Apologies if this is a ridiculous question for you.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the combination of stuff you have in chamber two is intermittently restricting the water flow in the chamber. Maybe the vent hole is somewhat blocked by something. Check to see and rearrange as needed. The bio block things can go anywhere. Be careful with any sponge. They’ll need to be cleaned weekly otherwise they’re going to cause water quality issues as gunk builds up. It’s very important to maintain good water quality.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes perhaps but what is the correct level of water in chamber 2? Above or under where the water comes from chamber one?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back