Water loss

19jonesy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea why I'm losing water? It's dropped from the black line in the space of a few hrs? Salinity is stable at 1.025 so it's not evaporation and there are no leaks
20171209_141106.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water isn't on your floor, then its evaporating. Mine is evaporating 1-1.5g per day... now that its winter and the heat is on in the house, even more! That small amount may not be showing up on your salinity gauge.

Is your overflow box filled up completely to the same height and not fluctuating?

OP
OP
19jonesy86

19jonesy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water isn't on your floor, then its evaporating. Mine is evaporating 1-1.5g per day... now that its winter and the heat is on in the house, even more! That small amount may not be showing up on your salinity gauge.

Is your overflow box filled up completely to the same height and not fluctuating?
The overflow is filled as much as the emergency pipe and just silently trickling down it, same as last night. Should I top off with RO or salt then as the salt level hasn't changed?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow is filled as much as the emergency pipe and just silently trickling down it, same as last night. Should I top off with RO or salt then as the salt level hasn't changed?

Sound like everything is correct then...DT is stable and overflow is stable. Gotta be evaporation... so refill with only RO water.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also make sure the method you are using to measure salinity is accurate. If you are using a hydrometer or a malfunctioning refractometer, it could be telling you your salinity is close to 34-35ppt when it is actually higher due to evaporation. I suspect this is the case. As Idoc and XNavyDiver said, if there's no water on the floor, then there's only one place it could have gone, and that's into the air.

OP
OP
19jonesy86

19jonesy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also make sure the method you are using to measure salinity is accurate. If you are using a hydrometer or a malfunctioning refractometer, it could be telling you your salinity is close to 34-35ppt when it is actually higher due to evaporation. I suspect this is the case. As Idoc and XNavyDiver said, if there's no water on the floor, then there's only one place it could have gone, and that's into the air.
I'm using a newly calibrated refractometer so I'm fairly confident it's accurate

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a newly calibrated refractometer so I'm fairly confident it's accurate

Have you calibrated it since you started getting these unexpected results? If not, I would do so. Be sure to use a salinity standard to calibrate, as calibrating with freshwater can lead to inaccurate readings. If the water level in the main tank hasn't changed, there are no leaks on any part of the tank, and there's no water on the floor, there's nowhere else the water could have gone except for into the air. The salinity would have to be higher as a result. It's a bit concerning that the reading has not changed.

Whatever the case may be, in cases where you get a result that's outside the expected range, it's a good idea to rule out all potential causes of mismeasurement before assuming the reading is accurate.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A habit I've gotten into is calibrating my refract before every use. I use 35ppt calibration fluid and almost without fail, I have to "tweek" it just a tiny bit to read 35. Then I immediately re-check my calibration adjustment. Then I take my reading.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A habit I've gotten into is calibrating my refract before every use. I use 35ppt calibration fluid and almost without fail, I have to "tweek" it just a tiny bit to read 35. Then I immediately re-check my calibration adjustment. Then I take my reading.

Back when I was using a refractometer, this is exactly the approach I had to take in order to get accurate readings. I would measure my salinity from day to day, and it would always be off by one or two ppt, and there was never any explanation for the change in salinity. Once I started calibrating before every use, the readings were steady.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would likely be unable to detect that small increase in salinity with a refractometer. To rise to sg = 1.026, you'd need to lose 4% of the total system volume (not just the sump volume).

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back