Water Mix and storage. One more newbie here.

ratkomkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I picked up Nuvo Fusion 20 to start into this hobby. The idea started with having some betta fish and ended up here. I have the tank for 2 days cycling. While is in that process I want to get ready with some equipment that I would need. I have many questions:

For start, I will be buying RODI water from the local shop. I assume it's ok to keep it in a container/jug for some period of time?
Also, I will be mixing the saltwater, if I get the mix ready for 1 month of water change do I have to run the pump all the time in the bucket or while mixing it and before use? Definitely I will be testing the quality salinity, temperature, and other things.

I will probably get some cleaning crew but do I have to clean the sand as well then?

Those are my starting questions that I would like to hear your thoughts. Thank you folks and I am excited for this journey.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storing RODI is fine, try to do it in an airtight container though as it will suck up CO2 and become acidic over time if left open. Once saltwater is mixed it doesn’t need to be circulated or heated. You can just store it. If you are doing a large water change you will want to heat it to tank temperature so it doesn’t cause a temperature swing, but you can do this a few hours ahead of your water change. You do still want to vacuum your sand even with a cleanup crew of inverts. Welcome to the hobby!

OP
OP
R

ratkomkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storing RODI is fine, try to do it in an airtight container though as it will suck up CO2 and become acidic over time if left open. Once saltwater is mixed it doesn’t need to be circulated or heated. You can just store it. If you are doing a large water change you will want to heat it to tank temperature so it doesn’t cause a temperature swing, but you can do this a few hours ahead of your water change. You do still want to vacuum your sand even with a cleanup crew of inverts. Welcome to the hobby!
Thank you! Thank you for the info

OP
OP
R

ratkomkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I won’t be able to store mixed water cause the manufacturer says that I have to use it within 5 days once is dessolved.

image.jpg

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I won’t be able to store mixed water cause the manufacturer says that I have to use it within 5 days once is dessolved.

image.jpg
You can safely ignore that. The only thing that might change is the salinity slightly through evaporation.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mix what I need for a 10% change and deploy the entire thing within 24 hours.
Check store TDS, sometimes, not so good. I don’t use anything over 5ppm.

Legonch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running aquaforest salt in my system. Typically I mix up 100 gallons of salt at a time. It will last longer than five days for sure. I just use a pump to mix it a bit every couple days. If its sat for quite a while, id mix it up, and test KH and CA on it to make sure. You are using a really good salt. I have not experienced any residue, etc.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the aquaforest with probiotics? The one with probiotics needs to be used asap. If it is not with probiotics then it will last a very long time.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your tap water? Every situation is different, and opinions vary but I personally don’t bother with RO/DI during cycle anyway. Save your money for now and the next few weeks as I’m sure by the time you add corals you will have plenty of time to do a water change(s) with purified water.

If you are just starting why not invest the $ into a ICP test of your tap, possibly could save you in the long run.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your tap water? Every situation is different, and opinions vary but I personally don’t bother with RO/DI during cycle anyway. Save your money for now and the next few weeks as I’m sure by the time you add corals you will have plenty of time to do a water change(s) with purified water.

If you are just starting why not invest the $ into a ICP test of your tap, possibly could save you in the long run.

It’s only a 20g tank, the cost of a water test will cost the same as a small bucket of salt, and the chances his tap water will be good to use is small, I don’t think the Op would be saving money doing that, probably cost him more.

OP
OP
R

ratkomkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the info.
For now, I picked up 5G Bucket where I'll mix do the mix and 2 x 5G Containers where I'll keep the RODI water.
Amazon things are on the way like VIVOSUN ph & TDS Meters, Salinity Refractometer & Salifert Test for Alkalinity.
I haven't purchased one for CA.

And one last 'dumb' question. Do you folks use the same hose for changing the water?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only a 20g tank, the cost of a water test will cost the same as a small bucket of salt, and the chances his tap water will be good to use is small, I don’t think the Op would be saving money doing that, probably cost him more.
Agreed, yeah I get that, in fact I just posted in another thread thoughts along the same lines...
I was suggesting the ICP test to see if he even needed to use RO/DI in the first place

Thank you for all the info.
For now, I picked up 5G Bucket where I'll mix do the mix and 2 x 5G Containers where I'll keep the RODI water.
Amazon things are on the way like VIVOSUN ph & TDS Meters, Salinity Refractometer & Salifert Test for Alkalinity.
I haven't purchased one for CA.

And one last 'dumb' question. Do you folks use the same hose for changing the water?

The TDS meters are OK, but those cheap yellow Asia pH meters are junk. They use these goofy calibration packets that the end user mixes to some weird number .... not what I’d call precision calibration...
I always get a 2nd one because a single cheap pH can burn you

Legonch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the aquaforest with probiotics? The one with probiotics needs to be used asap. If it is not with probiotics then it will last a very long time.
Sorry, i should have stated, my aquaforest is the non probiotics salt. Good catch, thank you!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back