Water Mixing Station Help - Univalve and plumbing

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon R2R community

I need DIY help!!!

I am having trouble with my newly built mixing station. Specifically, I am having trouble with the plumbing on my RODI storage not leaking. I am using a white 20g Rubbermaid Brute trashcan for RODI water. The design is simple, with a float valve at the top, and a plumbed line out at the bottom. This plumbed line out connects gate valve and then to a flexible hose. The RODI container sits on a platform above the SW container, and thus opening the gate valve allows gravity to do the work without a pump. I have a small bedside tank in my room, and thus being able to use the hose to fill up an ATO is still useful (but I can do hard plumbing if that's what the fix requires). I'm avoiding plumbing these with an external pump together for several reasons.

My issue is that the uniseal keeps leaking. There is a chance that the hole for the uniseal is the issue, and I need to clean up the edges. However, IMHO, it will not matter: the weight of the plumbing attachments coming off of the uniseal pull the valve down slightly and away from the trashcan, breaking the seal. Please see the attached photos, especially the space created between the container and the univalve.

What can I do to fix the problem? Nix the hose, do a hard plumb and affix the pipe to the stand for support, thereby eliminating the downward pressure on the univalve? Build a support stand for the current setup to keep it from pulling down?

IMG_20190801_081908.jpg IMG_20190801_083253.jpg

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a bulkhead instead of a uniseal. It sounds like the head pressure is too much for the uniseal. You want to install the bulkhead so the nut is on the outside and can be easily tightened. You might have to test the bulkhead rubber gasket on the inside vs outside to see what works better.

Last edited:

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine works similar to a bulkhead and took me about 3-4 fills before I had it at no leaks. I really had to overtighten it. The tanks have alot of downward waterpressure when filled. I wasn't super happy with the rubber gasket getting deformed and causing leaks if it wasn't perfectly on center. If I had to replace it I would drill a bigger hole and add a bulkhead.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a piece of threaded rod, and a pipe clamp and support from the hardware store. then anchor the short piece of pipe comming out of the trash can.

similar to the picture, but add 2 nuts to clamp the rod in place.

static1.squarespace.jpg

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put something under the valve to hold it up a bit., block of wood, pvc coupler, old magazines... I would guess you would need to remove the uniseal and clean up the hole and reinstall the uniseal. i have a uniseal on my 55 gallon tank and it does not leak

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the correct hole saw for the uniseal it should be so tight that it is hard to incert in the trash can. The uniseal is the correct choice for this application. The like on the end of the gate valve could be tugging on the pipe in the uniseal causing a drip.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back