Water movement

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I get closer to starting my first saltwater tank, I had some questions about water movement.

I have some Hydor Koralias from my freshwater days. Will these work for water movement during cycling (about a month) and during the fowlr phase (which will be about a year for me)?

My tank is 60" x 24" x 24". I am looking at alternatives for water movement ... powerheads, gyres and Sea Swirl. What is the general feeling about Sea Swirl? Will a single 1" Sea Swirl be enough water movement for a 150 gallon tank? Or will it need to be supplemented with powerheads/gyres.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3-4 power heads creating moderate water flow is sufficient. Sea swirl are not bad but not as efficient as random flow generators

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 mixed reef with dual overflows in the corners main pump 800 gph two hydor wave makers 2100 gph one on one off bottom right at bottom one infront one in back, 3400 gph wave maker left side middle pointed to the top ,on pulse 1 and ahalf inch wave in tank . Hydors 250 bucks 3500 gph wavemaker 65 bucks. 45 x turn over . 72" x18"x22" yes your hydor will get you through just point them to the top and make as much turbulence you can at the top of your water. For gas exchange and will help keep your ph up.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to get a couple of powerheads. The choices are wide ranging in prices and reliability. I was thinking of getting a pair of Vortech MP40 (used) ... however, they are not only spendy initially, they do not seem to be the most reliable (requiring new parts periodically). I am looking for a very reliable option that can also be linked to my Apex (Classic). Would Tunze be a better solution?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon system two hydor wave maker they are on the bottom right hand side running a dc unicef 3400 gph wave maker on the left middle pointed up. It is a 6 foot tank on power setting 3 it gives me a 1.5 inch wave .

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon system two hydor wave maker they are on the bottom right hand side running a dc unicef 3400 gph wave maker on the left middle pointed up. It is a 6 foot tank on power setting 3 it gives me a 1.5 inch wave .
Hydors one on one off.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back