Water Movers: What powerheads are you using and are you happy with them?

How happy are you with your powerheads/watermovers?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 438 52.6%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 309 37.1%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.1%

• Total voters

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Jebao CP-150 handled the flow of my 200 gallon tank for 1 year. The corals grew and slowed down the flow in the tank and now I have 2 of them.

Each pump pushes 8400 gallons/hour when overclocked. Their power drops significantly if they are not cleaned regularly.

Dead silent, even at 120%.

Screenshot_20200423-165645_AQLink V2.jpg

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of xf250 Gyres and two Rossmont MX4100s. Also have a closed loop power by a reeflo Barracuda and my return comes back into the tank at the far end of my peninsula via two 1" outlets with RFGs. Tank is a 650 Peninsula.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90g Tank. Jabao gyre on left. Low profile. Moves ton of water quietly running at level 3 of 10.
jabao W40 on right also at level two of six. Higher, the mushrooms start to dance. Once a day for half hour run both at full power. Fish treadmill and blows stuff out of the corners. Both blowers flawless at six months. Previous koralia tried to electrocute me.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with my pair of Tunze Nanostream 6055 pumps and Tunze Backup System in my 90 gal. Quiet, a breeze to sync, easily adjustable and reasonably priced.

Not so thrilled with my Icecap Gyre 300. Works ok but noisy and a pain in the butt to clean.
Wish I had spent the extra $$ on the Maxspect model.

If I upgrade I’ll dump the Icecap, keep the Nanos and add a pair of MP40s. I like the idea of easy to clean wet sides.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 Tunze 6025’s on my 54 corner. I’ve been pretty happy with them. I have a 210 being built and was considering the 6105’s. I see they’re rated up to 3400 gph. I was thinking 2 would be sufficient for the bulk of flow on a softie/Lps dominate reef. Maybe supplement them with a couple of smaller pumps to move water in the back. I was shooting for 30-40 times turn over circulation wise. Are your 6105’s maxed out? That’s a lot of flow. If so, is there any noise issues when running them at max? Just trying to get an idea before purchasing.
I have them on a 180 and use there 7095 controller for 4 of them 2 on each end about 6" below the surface and apex for the 5th. They ramp from around 30% to 100% in pulse mode on the controller. The one on the apex is at the bottom in a back corner keeping everything off the bottom in the back where I can't siphon. I'm sure it's over kill but it's definitely not to much!

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on a 180 and use there 7095 controller for 4 of them 2 on each end about 6" below the surface and apex for the 5th. They ramp from around 30% to 100% in pulse mode on the controller. The one on the apex is at the bottom in a back corner keeping everything off the bottom in the back where I can't siphon. I'm sure it's over kill but it's definitely not to much!
Sorry didn't reads entire post. I have no noise and its SPS so I think 2 would suffice for your 210 LPS tank, my tank is the same length and when only running 2 there's movement for sure For the record one of things I like about the 6105's is when you do start to here them it means it's time for a cleaning unlike Gyre's that just stop!

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one from amazon, don't remember what it's called. I think it is 400 gph, and it's great for the price. Maybe fifteen bucks? It's a little run down now though because of the stupid algae clogging it up :mad:

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement in a saltwater reef aquarium is so important on many levels so using the right ones in the right configuration for your tank is a pretty big deal! But with so many choices out there it's sometimes hard to choose! Today let's talk about which powerhead(s) or water mover(s) you use and why!

1. What pumps or powerheads are you using to provide water flow in your aquarium and are you happy with them?

2. If you could choose any powerhead or pump on the market what would you choose?

powerhead.jpg
Because my pockets are not deep I have been using the korilla power heads and seem to be working well ? I just can’t justify spending 4-500 for one power head. Maybe I’m in minority but I also don’t have expensive corals.

Loverman Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two so i could reduce there flow and place in alternate locations to maximize water flow
Cool ! Thanks ! Some people may have like one of each , a mp40 & a mp10 . 2 mp10's working working a wave mode or something does sounds ideal for a 2 x 2 cube ?

Cl0wnfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because my pockets are not deep I have been using the korilla power heads and seem to be working well ? I just can’t justify spending 4-500 for one power head. Maybe I’m in minority but I also don’t have expensive corals.
If you find an ecotech for cheap get it; worth it and gives you flexibility for if you do get expensive corals

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 6095's on the back wall pulsing every 10 seconds. Had 2 jebao ow-25's on side glass on random for 10 months.
Now running two 6105's on side at about 80% on both. Quite good water movement now. Much wider flow than the jeabo's and alot more power.
Should be albe to run this setup as the corals grow in.
Here is a current pick I just took. Tank just turned 10 months.
20200423_205527.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 old MP40 on my 120, I love that there is no cord in the tank! I do wish that I could change the fact that I cannot angle them
Yea I cant see the cords on the back wall much do to coralline buildup.
The 6105's take up alot of space, plus the wire, but 2 used for $200 could not pass it up.
Maybe down the road mp's will have directional control. I would spend the $'s for sure if they ever figured it out lol.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back