Water Movers: What powerheads are you using and are you happy with them?

How happy are you with your powerheads/watermovers?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 438 52.6%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 309 37.1%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.1%

• Total voters

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement in a saltwater reef aquarium is so important on many levels so using the right ones in the right configuration for your tank is a pretty big deal! But with so many choices out there it's sometimes hard to choose! Today let's talk about which powerhead(s) or water mover(s) you use and why!

1. What pumps or powerheads are you using to provide water flow in your aquarium and are you happy with them?

2. If you could choose any powerhead or pump on the market what would you choose?

powerhead.jpg

2 Wav & 2 MP40s in my 165 gal. Like them both, and like having water movement that’s not dependent on my Apex. Another level of redundancy.

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 opposite tunze 6040 with wide flow attachment, controlled by Apex. I can program the flow to get crashing waves during mid-day and predominantly left-to-right in the morning and predominantly right-to-left in the evening.

NOBOGYZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of xf250 Gyres and two Rossmont MX4100s. Also have a closed loop power by a reeflo Barracuda and my return comes back into the tank at the far end of my peninsula via two 1" outlets with RFGs. Tank is a 650 Peninsula.

I have a peninsula as well with closed loop coming out at far end and returns up top but need some flow in corners by wall and middle to bottom part as well. Where have you mounted your pumps? How have you hidden cords? Etc...thanks for the help

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement in a saltwater reef aquarium is so important on many levels so using the right ones in the right configuration for your tank is a pretty big deal! But with so many choices out there it's sometimes hard to choose! Today let's talk about which powerhead(s) or water mover(s) you use and why!

1. What pumps or powerheads are you using to provide water flow in your aquarium and are you happy with them?

2. If you could choose any powerhead or pump on the market what would you choose?

powerhead.jpg

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a gyre xf150 at 50% Alternating and two sun sun jvp101 about 800 gph. All in a 50 gal tank. I converted the Jvps to magnetic bases from worthless suction cups. All seem to work great Jvps are on 1 year I broke the shaft on one and no parts are
available but low price still makes them ok.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I will say is that the recommended maintenance on them is horrible. I did it for the first 4 month I owned them and had nothing but struggles. They were noisy and took forever.
I’m doing my normal cleaning now.
E275A086-6B15-496C-B48B-1C5287690C73.jpeg

Unplug the controller, line the shipping container with a plastic bag filled with vinegar. Soak for 2 hours. Done for a month. I've only taken 1 of the 4 apart in over a year and a half, and that was to get a snail out of the cage.
I do similar. I have 4 Gyres and 6 regular powerheads. My biggest problem is coralline algae grows like crazy in my tank. I pull a bucket next to the tank with muriatic acid. I put the pumps in for about 5minutes. Then brush most everything right off. If anything is left I put them back for another 5 minutes and then they are done.

Sruiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao (wp25 previously) PP8 and no shame in my game. They do what they're supposed to at a reasonable price. I've been lucky to have them run for many years. Motor has been touchy in the past but a quick flick and they're back to normal. Someday I would like to try a MP40 but at this point other items take precedence.

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been really happy with my Jebao SOW-8's. Dead silent even on pulse mode and they move a lot of water for their size. Jebao has improved a lot on their initial quality issues.

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was a long time vortech user until I recently tried gyres.... I really love the flow that the gyre produces especially if you run two with on pointed towards the top and the other to the bottom. I slowly pulled the vortechs out and am now only with gyres and couldn't be happier. Corals seem to not mind the difference in flow. I even saw a good amount of detritus blowing around when I made the switch. Cleaning is a bit more involved but I'll gladly do it.

KeyloBeatz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2xMP40’s in my 110 on crest mode.whats not to love. Easy to clean,quite,easy to use,and crazy flow.once you go vortex you don’t go back.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 mp60 and 2 mp40’s on a 180. Cant wait to get rid of them, looking for other options. I had two go bad on me in last year, driver melted. Constantly need to be cleaned , like every two weeks or else you get a clicking sound .

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been really happy with my Jebao SOW-8's. Dead silent even on pulse mode and they move a lot of water for their size. Jebao has improved a lot on their initial quality issues.
One thing I found that the sow model I can only tilt the powerhead upward so much as the cord is prevent it. While my OW I can point it upward without problem as theres a bigger gap you can just turn it. Is that the case for your sow8? Can you show a picture? Thx

7E0171C7-34A0-49A5-91BD-84E19C2FE38E.jpeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have MP40qd and love it. I hate seeing wires in the tank and this is the only/best option at this time.

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim compact 1000 return and Hydor 240 in my Fluval 13.5.
I wish the Hydor had more control like the larger models. Return can be loud too. Tank is in the basement so noise isn’t an issue.
Flow is very good for this tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back