Water Movers: What powerheads are you using and are you happy with them?

How happy are you with your powerheads/watermovers?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 438 52.6%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 309 37.1%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.1%

• Total voters

Uptown_Reef_Keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a pair of Nero 5s for the primary flow. Run them 180 of each other in "random" at 50% max in a 75-gallon mixed reef. I use the snail guards from Melevsreef. I've never had an issue and really like the style of water movement they provide with a large area, broad style push that moves water within the entire width of the aquarium. I also have 2 small Hydor's placed low in the tank and aimed across the back wall of the tank to keep the water behind my rockscape churning. The only thing I desire that the Nero 5s lack is the simplicity and ease of cleaning and maintenance that the MP40s have with the wireless wet sides. If the Nero 5s had wireless wet sides, I would vote the Nero 5 as the best powerhead ever.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement in a saltwater reef aquarium is so important on many levels so using the right ones in the right configuration for your tank is a pretty big deal! But with so many choices out there it's sometimes hard to choose! Today let's talk about which powerhead(s) or water mover(s) you use and why!

1. What pumps or powerheads are you using to provide water flow in your aquarium and are you happy with them?

2. If you could choose any powerhead or pump on the market what would you choose?

powerhead.jpg
Four MP 40’s

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 270 I am running (2) maxpect fx280s, (1) fx150, (1) mp60 and (1) mp40.
On my 50cube running (1) mp10 and (1) mp40.
The gyres take more time to clean but have been reliable and move lots of water. The vortechs are great but had issue with my first qd model. Besides that reliable and easy to clean.
Overall very satisfied.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend you take the time to solder in connectors and then get a bucket of acid or vinegar. Its so nice not needing to set up next to the tank, rinsing off in the sink, and then capping the bucket to use again the next month!
IMG_20200422_143843.jpg
IMG_20200422_143835.jpg
Rinsing sounds like too much work! :p

I pull them out of the container, let them drip for a few seconds, and put them right back into the tank. A little vinegar isn't going to hurt anything.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Vortech MP40QDs and love them. They’re a few years old and I bought them right when the QDs first came out. I run them at 90% ReefCrest Anti-Sync 24/7. I would never consider replacing them with a different brand...unless they ever force me to use Mobius. ;Woot

PHXReefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 170 (Bare Bottom)
(1) Red Sea Reefwave25 (gyre pump)
(2) mp10

I am very happy with my power heads and the flow they provide.

-Phil

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Nero 5's on my 75 and those things pushed water. I was very happy with them. Before that I had a pair of Ice Cap 3k's Also worked good but had limited control-ability

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 100g Waterbox 4ft in length
  1. Maxspect Gyre XF330 - 8 out 10 with this pump, it has a little humming noise but you get used to it. Moves water well
  2. Maxspect Gyre XF350 - On order for opposite flow
  3. Ecotech MP10 - 7/10 on this pump I like it but I've had to modify the wetside ceramic part inside the fan (it was broken). As with everyone else I really like that I don't have to put a cord in the tank.
  4. ActiveAqua return pump AP1000, 6/10 it's quiet but I had to add a pad underneath it in our sump I wish it had a controller and a little more flow (might upgrade to the reef octo varios in the future).

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Maxspect Gyre XF350s on either side of a 72" long 220. They move a ton of water. Had them in operation for almost 1 year. No issues with noise or performance. I did buy the ICV6 for easier programming.

General299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement in a saltwater reef aquarium is so important on many levels so using the right ones in the right configuration for your tank is a pretty big deal! But with so many choices out there it's sometimes hard to choose! Today let's talk about which powerhead(s) or water mover(s) you use and why!

1. What pumps or powerheads are you using to provide water flow in your aquarium and are you happy with them?

2. If you could choose any powerhead or pump on the market what would you choose?

powerhead.jpg
I have 2 Current USA eflux 1050gph on my 75gal with a Hydor Seltz vario AC 2400 return pump. the ATO is a lifeguard 800 pump.
I have 2 Sun Micro Systems JVP series 800 gph in my 30 gal bowfront with a Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 return pump. the ato is a Tom pet Aqualifter.
I am using Imagitarium and Marineland power heads for my mixing brutes.
I am pleased with them all. Am I excused for thinking of adding a gyre to my 75?
MP40s with Icecap

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely satisfied with my Jebao OW-25’s they are very in expensive and extremely powerful. I have 2 on the lowest flow setting and it’s still a little to powerful for my 110gallon. I love all the modes and features especially the night and feed mode and all the different pulse settings. I also appreciate that when they “stop” and starts between pulses it never technically stops. It simply lowers from whatever power setting you have it at to 5% and then back up again. I also really like the randomized flow mode as it creates tons of surface agitation and creates a cool effect on flowing corals.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 hydors and one sicce, all big and ugly. It's what I ran 12 years ago and didn't research it when I started up my tank a year ago. Not very good hiding spots in a 60 cube with corner overflow. So needless to say I didn't vote happy

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 Jebao SW series, very powerful, low price, working great after almost a year. I had current and those were trash, all died within 1-2 years....

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What pumps or powerheads are you using to provide water flow in your aquarium and are you happy with them? MP10's x 2 in my 60g cube. I'm happy with them for the most part, the only thing I'm not a hug fan of is the lack of a mobile app.

2. If you could choose any powerhead or pump on the market what would you choose? I don't really have much experience in the SW hobby to have an opinion, but I'm definitely interested in a gyre type powerhead.

Last edited:

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using two tunze 6015 in a 30g. I would buy mp10s, they are nice but id rather just spend that money on coral. the tunzes are dead silent, cheap, built well, accomplish what they are supposed to do.

Back