Water Movers: What powerheads are you using and are you happy with them?

How happy are you with your powerheads/watermovers?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 438 52.6%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 309 37.1%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.1%

• Total voters

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Current USA 2100 power heads as part of a complete Loop system with flow pump and dual Orbit Marine Pro led fixtures. Awesome features and complete control from phone for my Waterbox 5526 peninsula system.

BPF42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Neptune Wavs that have been working really well for two years now in a Peninsula 105 gallon display tank.

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running 2 Skimz SS6.0 in my 65g display. They are small, wireless link together in a master/slave setup, quiet and move water. I have the new Icecap V2 battery backup witch will power one of these pumps in the event of a power failure.

This is my first tank and I am totally green at all of this, but so far very happy with them.
IMG_9675.JPG

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OW25 Jebao, love it silent and value! However, my new Jebao scp120 is loud.

I am now torn betwen the Jebao OW25 and the Jebao CP90 for my reefer 350 build.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaSwirl on my return is awesome! 2x Gyre xf250 which are good, but are a PIA to clean but I just keep turning them up and clean every 2 months or so.

Big Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech 2 MP40QD- sitting in a box with the other items that failed in a short time. Wet sides kept falling off. Ecotech sent a new wet side under warranty which didnt solve the issue. I was moving houses and left that wet side out of water when i was moving for a few months I attempted to use it again and the magnet was completely rusted out. I have an Mp10- magnet rusted out on that too.
i am currently using the following powerheads:
An old MP 40 pre-QD. Just keeps working,i prefer the ease of cleaning the wet side over a corded pump.
Tunze Stream3- i bought this before anyone.Did have 2 warranty issues they took care of. Hasn't failed since I hate the form of this pump. In verticle form its weak. In horizontal form it isnt good because i have a center over flow. It is large and ugly. It is quiet and simple design. It is a pain to get out of my tank to clean and the small blue rubber mounts are ridiculous. Yes they insulate against vibration but you'll end up chasing them around your tank at some point because they are likely to pop off when you are removing for cleaning.
Also using a Rossmont mover. I have 3 different sizes. There is no consistency on which ones are prone to vibration noises Only one is noisy the other 2 are great. They do offer a very wide spread flow. Honestly if you dont over do it and get a less powerful Rossmont it wont overpower the tank and will provide adequate flow without a controller. I think my fish prefer this pumps flow over others that ramp up and down. They can hang out around these pumps comfortably yet i can see the flow over my leather corals extended polyps. These are very easy to pull apart and clean even though they are corded.
i would like to get a new power head soon but wont buy another Ecotech until they brag about the redesigned magnets on their pumps. I will say removable wetside is a big plus and look forward to a new design.

Gerald Anderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're too expensive, but I can't help it. I LOVE my MP10s and 40s.

I like the program choices, I like being able to control with Apex, and most of all I LOVE just switching out wet sides and no cords.

G

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OW25 Jebao, love it silent and value! However, my new Jebao scp120 is loud.

I am now torn betwen the Jebao OW25 and the Jebao CP90 for my reefer 350 build.
Seems like a lot of people like these Ow pumps, I went through like 15 different jebao pumps, they would always die on me. How long have you had yours?

Rich V

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 and am using a maxspect gyre xf350 on one side, and an mp40 on the other. The gyre is an animal and puts out so much flow when clean.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of people like these Ow pumps, I went through like 15 different jebao pumps, they would always die on me. How long have you had yours?
Almost 2 years I think. It was a bit noisy at the beginning but now it’s dead silent. I like it so much but I want to have a cleaner look and want to mount two gyre style on the back glass which the cp90

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been cleaning them? If so maybe stop doing that, I have never intentionally clean it. I cleaned it once recently because I took it out to mount it on a different side.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been cleaning them? If so maybe stop doing that, I have never intentionally clean it. I cleaned it once recently because I took it out to mount it on a different side.
The last two just died, I haven’t cleaned those very often, the other ones I was cleaning regularly. I might give these Ows a try. Do they work with apex?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm very happy with the combination closed loop and MP40's I use on my 240 and the pair of Tunze 6055's on my 66 gallon tank.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP60s and two XF280s

I love the MP60, they move plenty of water and are easy to maintain.

the Gyres are a totally different story. I have to run them on 100% and need constant attention.

My tank is 8’ x 3’ x 30”H

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TUNZE the originator all the way, might be a little bulky but hard to kill!! Have 5 6105's and LOVE them. Wasn't a big fan of the MP's. My Tunzes even give me a heads up when it's time for cleaning because they start to make a slight tick sound when they engage meaning it's time for a soak!
I currently run 2 Tunze 6025’s on my 54 corner. I’ve been pretty happy with them. I have a 210 being built and was considering the 6105’s. I see they’re rated up to 3400 gph. I was thinking 2 would be sufficient for the bulk of flow on a softie/Lps dominate reef. Maybe supplement them with a couple of smaller pumps to move water in the back. I was shooting for 30-40 times turn over circulation wise. Are your 6105’s maxed out? That’s a lot of flow. If so, is there any noise issues when running them at max? Just trying to get an idea before purchasing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back