Water param at 7.5 alk want to raise back to usual 9 about to water change

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I tested my water and my alk is 7.5! Today is water change day and I use reef Crystals by Red Sea the new salt water is 12 alk would a 2.5-5 gallon water change be okay to do? The corals are usually in 9 alk would this kill my corals? I feel like it would almost be like acclimating them to a new tank because I’ve bought corals that are from a tank with 11 alk and I run mine at 9 and they’re doing fine

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tank total volume?
My tank is a 30 gallon all in one not sure what the sump in the back is probably 3 gallons and have less than 5 gallons worth of live rock and corals

Myst3ry_sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supposed you have a 30 gallon water volume I would do 3 gallon(10%) WC first and test the water the next day to see where the alk stand. Or if it would be safer if you do 2 gallon WC test the water and you can always do another small WC if desired alk is not meet that way won’t cause a big swing.

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supposed you have a 30 gallon water volume I would do 3 gallon(10%) WC first and test the water the next day to see where the alk stand. Or if it would be safer if you do 2 gallon WC test the water and you can always do another small WC if desired alk is not meet that way won’t cause a big swing.
Very good idea I will do that!

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing to figure out first is where r u trying to keep your tank at in terms of Alkalinity and Calcium??? If u r trying to keep it low than use standard IO. If u want to raise it and keep it elevated then go ahead use the reef crystals and use kalkwaser or 2 part to maintain levels inbetween water changes, or frequent water changes depending on your systems needs. Otherwise u will just be fighting yourself and the ups and downs wont be so good for the tank.

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing to figure out first is where r u trying to keep your tank at in terms of Alkalinity and Calcium??? If u r trying to keep it low than use standard IO. If u want to raise it and keep it elevated then go ahead use the reef crystals and use kalkwaser or 2 part to maintain levels inbetween water changes, or frequent water changes depending on your systems needs. Otherwise u will just be fighting yourself and the ups and downs wont be so good for the tank.
Yes I like 9 alk and 450 calcium I dose in between water changes but just added 3 new Acro colonies so I’m guessing that’s what dropped it

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, i just reread your post and realized that you CLEARLY stated your tank is usually at 9. Lol. Id still try n match where u keep the tank normaly to the level of the salt u use and the maintain inbetween water changes. Whatever that level may be. Hard fir menti explain but hopefully it makes a little sense?

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, i just reread your post and realized that you CLEARLY stated your tank is usually at 9. Lol. Id still try n match where u keep the tank normaly to the level of the salt u use and the maintain inbetween water changes. Whatever that level may be. Hard fir menti explain but hopefully it makes a little sense?
Yes!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15% water change will only raise the alkalinity by .2-.3 dKh at the most, which is irrelevant.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back