Water Parameters

Derek C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!! I started cycling my tank just about a week ago and I added bio spira and fish food. My ammonia is pretty much at 0 (I can’t tell because it’s like bright yellow so it is probably less than .1 ppm ammonia. Nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are at around 40. What do I do now? It’s been like this for 2 days. When will I be able to add fish? Thank you guys!!
Also- pH is at 8.0. How do I get it up or do I need to? I plan on getting a cleaner shrimp, 2 clownfish, and maybe a starfish and maybe a few crabs.

C0AD39A2-BF7B-4006-9A72-186CEB4C52E6.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have ammonium chloride by chance? If you add the amount to increase ammonia to 1ppm to the tank, it should be able process within a 24 hour period to ensure the bacteria can consume it quickly enough for live-stock.

Also, how do you plan to add your fish? One-at-a-time?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!! I started cycling my tank just about a week ago and I added bio spira and fish food. My ammonia is pretty much at 0 (I can’t tell because it’s like bright yellow so it is probably less than .1 ppm ammonia. Nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are at around 40. What do I do now? It’s been like this for 2 days. When will I be able to add fish? Thank you guys!!

C0AD39A2-BF7B-4006-9A72-186CEB4C52E6.jpeg
I suggest you keep letting the bacteria continue to build up for a while longer and lower those nitrates. Then fish time of course ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
Derek C

Derek C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have ammonium chloride by chance? If you add the amount to increase ammonia to 1ppm to the tank, it should be able process within a 24 hour period to ensure the bacteria can consume it quickly enough for live-stock.

Also, how do you plan to add your fish? One-at-a-time?

I don’t have ammonium chloride. But I can purchase it today if it would help. Also, I want to get 2 clowns at once because I’ve heard stories where clownfish fight when you don’t introduce them at the same time. Then after a month and a half I want a cleaner shrimp, then after a month a couple crabs or a starfish.

Also, do nitrates just decrease after time or how do I get them down?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium chloride (Dr. Tims sells this and can be sourced on amazon too) is just the easiest and most precise way to add ammonia and validate how quickly it drops from 1ppm to 0ppm.

I think your stocking timeline is sensible. The hard part will be sticking to it! :)

Nitrate is mostly consumed by algae and coral but is also processed by denitrifying bacteria also.

Gaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My method when it comes to biospira:

Rocks/sand/water + biospira -> ammonium chloride to imitate fish (most LFS will carry this, I know OLA does for cheap) -> give it a few days to process, test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates -> nitrates will spike very high, do a big water change with fresh saltwater and the tank should be ready for your clowns.

Biospira does expedite the process but it’s not 100% so be patient and watch the tank. Depending on the rock you used, you’ll see diatom blooms but that shouldn’t last long. I’d give it a good month or two for the new tank uglies to pass, during that time, you can add your clean up crew. Just make sure to keep up with WEEKLY water changes. Few gallons should suffice, premix or if you trust and have tested an LFS’ saltwater, buy a 5 gal jug and you’ll be good for two weeks. If you have some spare change, get an Auto Top Off, it’ll set you back a bill or so but it’ll be a lifesaver not having to remember to top off the tank with freshwater.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R! :)

Adding fish food does add ammonia, but you really don't know how much. Adding a known amount of ammonia is the best method IMO.

1 week really isn't that long. I would wait until you dose the ammonia and it can process in 24 hours before you consider adding fish.

Unless you added a lot of food to the tank, 40 ppm nitrate seems high. Are you using RO/DI water or something else? Did you ever see your nitrites go up?

Back